1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 xj650 revival

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Kweb1889, Oct 7, 2020.

1. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

your 550 thread
    https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/81-xj550j-help.129392/#post-651411

there is a device to lube cables it clamps around the cable and you squirt lube down a hole. it can be used to flush the cable before lubing wd40 works well as a cleaner about the only use I have for it. seafoam spray works well too but is costly
    nice tool for under 10$
    [​IMG]

2. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

This was extremely helpful this is what I did. Was this what you were meaning? I'm not worried about my leg smelling I like the way it looks. Cant find an airbox for this so this is the only option.

Attached Files:

3. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

If you think your only option is to run pods on this - and you're prepared to go the distance in getting them to work, you should get some decent ones - k&n would be my choice, cheap chinesium ones are rubbish at filtering and airflow, and have been known to block the air correctors and also the inlet to the lower diaphragm chamber (I binned mine).
    Then you should really fit a set of plastic tee fittings to the flat ends of the pods (by drilling the ends), connect them all together and to the vent tube from the crankase. The point about the crankase breather is that it "breathes" both ways, so you really don't want a cheap filter on there.

Timbox likes this.
  4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes small filter on the crankcase stub as you have done.

Kweb1889 likes this.
  5. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

As stated above ^^^ the rubber on some of the cheaper pods blocks the oval air inlet on CV carbs. You will have to take a look at your pods and see if the rubber is covering or restricting the oval opening that allows air to make the diaphragm rise and lower. Just want you to get the best performance you can with the pods in place and not drive your self nuts trying to trouble shoot why the bike might not be performing the way it should. Good luck.

6. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

Thank you everyone for all this advice. These pods came on the bike I havent gotten Tim to change them yet but I will. They have been modified on the inside with a razor blade to not block anything but I agree these are cheap crappy pods. As for the crank case breather this pod that i got has a pretty good review on working well for this application I will upgrade to a better one if I have any trouble. Thank you everyone. What would be the best jet kit to get this to run properly?

7. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

Will I have to worry about moisture getting in through the filter over the winter? It is stored in a portable garage with no floor.

8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

That won't be a problem. Some condensation will accumulate inside the engine no matter what you do short of preparing it for multi-year storage by removing the exhaust, carbs, and plugging every hole with a gasketed fitting, which is entirely unnecessary in your case.

Franz likes this.
  9. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Hah, now here you have a problem. There are theories on how to rejet, but very little actual evidence on what has worked for people. Personally I believe it's not just jets, but springs and needles need to be involved, and maybe even float level to a small degree. But I have never done this, so don't have the info you need. Hence most peple will advise you to put an airbox back on....

k-moe likes this.
  10. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

the companys that sell the kits set you up with a kit based on the mods to your bike.
    if you look in the information overload thread it tells you what you need to get to a good starting point

at the bottom of this link will be an explanation
    http://xjbikes.wikidot.com/carb-specs

11. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

Hello all its been a while, with all this covid crap lifes been stressful. I was wondering if anyone may have a pdf version of an 82 xj650 service manual? I just cant scrape together the extra money to buy one right now so i figured id ask. Thanks to any and all help in advance.

12. Andius

Andius Member

https://www.xjcd.org/book/export/html/35

Afraid I don't have a digital version, just a paperback. The above has a bunch of info, but not all. Happy to share some info or snaps of torque settings, etc.. Feel free to message me.

13. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

Thank you i appreciate it. But another member was able to get me a pdf Haynes and a supplemental manual.