1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Picking up a light project (hopefully)

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Ciarán, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Ciarán

Ciarán Member

Hi folks, while my Xj600 project is more or less on hold I've decided to pick up another bike to celebrate a promotion.

I was looking at a Moto Guzzi Griso (as a former MG owner) but I was scared off by known issues and a 'technical notice' as a de facto recall. It also stretched the budget.

I've since seen two bikes for sale with a respected dealer. They are:

1. 1979 Honda CX500 with full Rickman fairing €1300
    2. Early 1980s Kawasaki Z650 Custom (they have papers for it somewhere but can't find them right now - it's dual disc so presumably one of the later models). €750.

Both bikes are running and driving but have some mechanical grumbles (particularly sticking brakes) and some perished rubbers and hoses.

I'm inclined towards the Z650 and it does leave lots more room in the budget.

Just wondering what your opinions would be on the bikes. I'm very much open to both - I'm viewing them in the morning and expect to be leaving with one or other.

Advert listing: https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-...jects-royal-enfield-honda-cx500-kawa/26336784

2. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Go for the Kawi! The CX500 is just too slow.

3. Ciarán

Ciarán Member

Thanks for the reply. I am very tempted by the Kawasaki. It's a nice looking machine and with a raised rear end could make for a nice cafe racer project which I like the idea of. Alternatively, I could stick with the bobber approach and leave the stance as is and just work on getting short fenders etc.

The CX500 is an interesting machine too - if I had space I'd buy both - but realistically I just don't have room for them.

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

cx500 has a water pump seal that's a pull the engine job, no fun. never drove one but riding with one i could tell it was a dog
    look at kzrider.com

5. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Plus one for the Kawasaki - leave the plastic maggot where it is.

6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I have to agree with the KZ, I have owned both and for fun factor and comfort of riding I would pick the 650.

The CX500 you will have to inspect the fan. They are mechanical and attached to the crank. Most of the fan blades by this age are all stress cracked or broken. On the one I had I just removed it, ground the crank end back and sealed that it up. I installed a Ninja 600 electric fan in its place.

The CX also need to have a little help with the spark department. I modded the spark plug boots and put copper wire in place of the internals. That really helped with spark.

The last part is the heat that comes off the flying "V" engine. Unless you plan on riding it all the time in cool weather, you will soon not be happy with the way it heats up the inside of your legs.

On the KZ you are looking at, does it have the CV carbs (has round hands on the carbs) or does it have the thinner tops. My KZ650 has non CV carbs and when you grab the throttle she jumps like a little rocket.

7. Ciarán

Ciarán Member

Thanks for the comments all. I was pretty set on the kz650 (or is it a z650 custom?).

My mind was absolutely made up when I arrived at the dealer and someone had just finished loading the cx into the back of a van.

She runs but as you can see by the foil, there's a crack in the rubber boot connecting the carbs to the engine.

On top of that it had a front end swap which gives the benefit of dual disc brakes (only one caliper for now though!). The caliper appears to be the stock one relocated on an adapter plate. I'm going to assume I'll need to update the master cylinder while I'm at it.

When the bike is delivered I'll look at the disc size and mounting spacing on the forks and buy appropriate calipers.

I think it's a solid base but definitely there are some cosmetic changes required to suit my style. The exhaust is in grand condition but I think delkovic make sets that sound pretty sweet so they may be on the cards down the line but I'm more focused on going down to a single headlight up front and nicer indicators.

Attached Files:

8. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Part of me says that needs some more customising to improve it's looks - the front mudguard for instance? The tank doesn't sit right either? And yes that calliper needs changing.
    However, these bikes are starting to fetch real money, so a standard one is worth more - maybe keep all the original bits safe?

9. Ciarán

Ciarán Member

Yeah, new front fender definitely on the cards. That one is a little bit 'old man' for my taste. But yeah, I will keep bits safe. I might try source a smaller tank. That one is ridiculously large for the bike.

10. Ciarán

Ciarán Member

I've been looking and haven't really been able to find pictures of a z/kz with this style bodywork so I'm not sure if there was a factory cruiser version. I definitely haven't seen side panels like the ones on it. As @Minimutly said, the tank doesn't sit right either.

The bike is due to arrive on Tuesday so hopefully will post a short vid of it running. I've yet to identify what year the bike is exactly - Tuesday will allow me a better chance to find identifying features.
    Beyond doing necessary work with a few fixes, brakes, and master cylinder I'm thinking longer term cosmetic things.It all depends on whether I stick with the cruiser look or consider something closer to a cafe look.
    In terms of cosmetic mods I'm considering:
    1. Shorty front fender (maybe aluminium rather than painted)
    2. Single round headlight (maybe led depending on price)
    3. Minimal fairing - (maybe like this airtech example)
    4. I'd like a smaller tank ideally - that one is a bit ridiculous looking - I'll research the forums and see what works well but as an example of a style more my taste see this.
    5. Replace those side panels (originals are likely to be very expensive so I might see about making something simple in steel/aluminium that doesn't bulge out as much)
    6. New indicators - quite interested in these.
    7. If I change the tank I can use new bars - maybe drag bars or something. Not a fan of the generous rise on those bars.
    8. Potentially I'll see about raising the rear end to return it to a stance more like a stock kz.
    9. I really love the Rebel Moto switchgear so if I do new bars I might try and fit them. Really worth a look - I think they're things of beauty.
    10. Some simple bar end mirrors. Not convinced they're very useful but they'll be better than nothing.
    There's little to no urgency on doing these mods - as long as the bike is running and driving I can look at tackling these jobs over a few months. Also, once I'm satisfied the bike is running and driving well I don't mind sinking some money into the cosmetics - in Ireland it's rare to get any motorcycle for less than €1000 - much less one that actually starts and runs.

Simmy likes this.