1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Pod Filters?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Scizor, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Cool, you have to ride them to qualify though...

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

My ‘02 is on the road :)

3. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

I'll throw this in here now - I've never understood why the CV carburettor would not work on a pod filter.
    I understand the potential negative effects - loss or reduction of filtration, loss of an elastic volume of air in the airbox, giving at least some resonation effect at some rpms, noisy intakes, reduction in upstream flow straightening, loss of somewhere to vent the crankase into, loss of a space to catch any fuel standoff, and possible loss of mpg.
    What of the positive effects?
    Well, if you are having carb issues, and need to remove them often, aesthetics - many would argue that a cafe racer style needs them? Power - less restriction at full power could mean more power - Note I typed "could". Lastly your airbox has frustrated you - or the PO so,much it was trashed....
    So not many reasons to use them then?
    Whatever, will they work? Well yes, people on here have managed it, with no ill effects apparently. Now, why do I think they would at least run with no rich or weak stumble effects? Beyond the obvious lack of reasoning why not - it's mostly a readjustment of the upstream/downstream pressures and the effects on callibration, the loss of a resonant box will not be overcome, so that will allways be a loss.
    My own experience with a set of Mikunis off an xj600, stripped, cleaned and then directly bolted onto a 650 with NO filters at all, with absolutely no discernible ill effects would suggest that theory is correct. I'm not saying that the 650 wasn't down on power somewhere, but I couldn't feel any holes in the power curve. If this is sufficient then the experiment is a success, but really if not losing power anywhere is a requirement I would have to suggest a scientific test is needed. The 600 Mikunis on the xj650 working straight on was pure luck - surely?