1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Pros and cons of changing Maxim rear wheel for a Seca one?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Minimutly, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

If the seca ever runs it'll probably end up on that...

2. VinceD67

VinceD67 New Member

Of course it’s 2” bigger, going from a 16” to an 18”. Lol
    I picked up a seca rear tire for my maxim. Haven’t done anything with it yet. When I get it down I’ll post pics and you can judge the look for yourself and see if it’s what you want or not

3. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Lol, bit late.....

k-moe likes this.
  4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The wheel size is not always indictive of the brake drum size. Details matter, and it's not a joke.

5. VinceD67

VinceD67 New Member

its not brake drum size its rim size

6. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Had that happen to me from an ebay vendor. Sent them back for the proper part, then discovered XJ4ever...right part everytime. Never order from anyplace else....

k-moe likes this.
  7. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Except with the XJ’s, you DO have to pay attention to brake size, because there are smaller and larger brake diameters, and those are not totally dependent on RIM diameters.....then there is the tire width, and rim width....some rims interchange with the xv’s but cause other interference, etc.......

so while you think about swapping rim sizes, you have to make sure to pay attention to brake size.......etc———

k-moe likes this.
  8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

There is a reason why I've rebuilt a Seca, a Maxim, and a Virago and have ended up with two extra sets of rear brake shoes for my Seca (as supplied by the owners of the Maxim and Virago).
    But then I probably don't know anything...

9. 50gary

50gary Active Member

opps, 130 is the width of the tire as is 120mm the width, 90 is the series/section (aspect ratio). 90 means .9 or 90% of the tire width is the section height of the tire. To figure overall height (Dia.) multiply by two (top and bottom) then convert to inches and add wheel dia. wheels are usually in inches regardless of country metric or not.
    .9x120mm = 108mm x 2= 216/25.4 = 8.5" + 18" = 26.5" overall diameter, circumference is pi 3.14 x 26.5" = 83.21"
    .9x130mm = 117mm x2 = 234/25.4 = 9.21" +18" = 27.2" overall diameter, circumference is pi 3.14 x 27.2" =85.4". 97.43% or 1.03% depending on which way you swap.
    For sporting riding you'll be better off with the 18" wheels as you have much better tire choices in 18" also don't worry about the narrow rim you'll have as much traction with greater PSI downforce. It will handle a bit quicker on turn in. Continental also make radial tires for vintage bikes with 18"/19"
    Cheers, 50gary

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    k-moe likes this.