1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Using an O2 Sensor to tune carbs?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by MrSeca, Nov 2, 2020.

1. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

I've been looking up O2 sensors and I want to try and use them as a tool to tune the carbs. I am NOT looking to permanently install the sensor but rather the way that I'd do it is that I'd remove the exhaust EXCEPT the headers. I would then take the actual sensor and insert it at the bottom of each of the exposed headers (where it connects to the collector), turn on the bike, and start adjusting. I would only use it for idle purposes NOT for going up and down the rpm power band although I'll most likely experiment.

My first question is, would removing the collector and the mufflers have an effect on the actual air/fuel ratio?

I know that there are for bung holes at the bottom of the header for when Yamaha use to be able to hook up their fancy machines but those holes are not big enough to fit an actual sensor and I don't really want to start drilling additional holes into my exhaust.

This is the product I'm planning on purchasing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/52mm-LED-D...798054?hash=item2644e7c866:g:5okAAOSwLSBfT0Ob

In theory it seems to work and I'm kind of excited but I don't know enough about the science of exhaust and air/fuel ratios and stuff like that. I'm also worried removing the muffler and collector would have an effect on the readings but again, I only want to adjust the carbs at IDLE so maybe removing the muffler and collector would not factor in as much.
    Please don't suggest Colortunes. I know all about them thank you very much. Please just stay on this topic.

Looking forward to your thoughts and suggestions.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

There are sniffer ports in the stock headers.
    The use of a probe shoved up the headers comes with the problem of restricting backflow into the header so you don't get a false reading.

You should be able to make a sniffer-type probe from a few fittings and the appropriate size of copper tubing. The trick will be calibrating it to allow for the O2 sensor not being directly in the gas flow. You'll also need to use a heated O2 sensor.

3. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

4. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

So that link you sent is WAAAAY more complicated then I can understand. I'm just looking for a plug in play simple tool.
    How would I make the simple test tool and please, explain it like I'm a 10 year old.

5. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

So there in lies the question, how do you make a sniffer-type probe?

Also, I don't quite understand your first statement. How would I be restricting backflow exactly? I would not be covering up the headers with the sensor. There would still be an opening for the exhaust to escape. Are you saying just putting that little sensor in there could change things.

6. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

If it helps, here is a diagram of how I would use it. Please excuse my horrible illustration skills.

Attached Files:

7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

that's about it but the engine needs to be at running temp and the wires that are going up the header get hot too
    mine gave wild swings, all over the place. but i was happy with how it was so i just put it in a box on the shelf
    it was a shitz and giggles project

8. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

I'm confused. Did it work or not?

9. k-moe

1. A sniffer probe has the sensor in a compartment that is held in the hand, and a length of metal tubing goes into the test port to get the sample.
    This is the modern version of what Yamaha was using at the time (but wayyyy smaller). The handpiece illustrates the type of probe that is used with the XJ test ports.
    bacharach-fyrite-intech-co-o2-gas-detector-248511.html

2. What you don't want is for the exhaust to exit entirely freely when testing at the exit of the pipes. The exhaust will be dilluted by the bit of air that is sucked back into the header after the exhaust stroke and cause a false reading. That's why onboard O2 sensors are placed well before the muffler.

10. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

When inserting that probe does it make an air tight seal?? It seems like that would be important but I could be wrong. Unfortunately, that thing is a little out of my price range. I paid less for one of my first bikes.

Being relatively new to bikes I also forgot about the whole 4 stroke thing and realized air would come right back up the header and mess up the readings.

11. k-moe

The probe only needs a mostly-tight seal. Back in the olden days of car emissions tesing they used similar probes, and a rag to partially block off the exhaust pipe.

12. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Good to know. Thanks

13. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

I might try a little experiment and find some "sacrificial" headers to make an O2 sensor out of them. The idea is to drill a hole into each header right at the first bend coming out of the engine. I would then install the O2 sensor into each header one at a time and be able to ride the bike and see what's happening as I ride it, tuning as I go along. The question is, would the location of the hole I would drill out be too close to the engine. Does that matter?

14. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

did you get a O2 sensor yet? there's all kinds but the ones i've seen are just too big to do that. the oem pipes are double wall, that won't make it easier.
    you could get a digital tach and tune for max rpm and be done

15. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

I bought a digital cheap Chinese one off of ebay. I don't want to invest too much into this project. If it works, great. Why would the size of the sensor matter? Why does the double wall matter?

16. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

when i think O2 sensor, it's the size of one that goes in your chevy. i hope yours is way smaller than that. a oem pipe is double wall, so the real pipe is smaller than what you see, a chevy one would come out the other side of the pipe and block half of the pipe. the oem pipes have a bung in them for a yamaha tester but good luck finding one of those.
    when it's all hooked up remember that the 14.7 they talk about isn't what you want to run at, needs to be richer or the engine just won't feel right
    a link to the tester you have?

17. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

18. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i hope it does work out.
    no idea but it should be richer than what they call perfect.
    the top bend? i would think there might still be fire there, that might not matter but on cars it's farther back....?
    maybe put the wires in a pipe (1/2 inch copper water pie) with the sensor attached to the end and push it in the muffler as far as it goes, then read it and pull it out and see how hot it got and go from there.
    i seem to remember the heater in mine drew some current so keep a eye on battery voltage
    i'm going to put some effort in finding mine.
    maybe you want a analog meter that won't bounce as much....?

19. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

20. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

I've been slacking. I'm waiting on parts for the carbs (have them fully apart this time) and will then need to move the O2 sensor idea along to see how it works.