1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New battery needed next spring

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by cgutz, Nov 6, 2020.

?

Lead acid battery, or AGM for my 8s XJ550 Maxim?

Poll closed Dec 6, 2020.
  1. Lead Acid - $40 - I get 3 seasons typically

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. AGM - extra cost justified by extra "seasons"?

100.0%
  1. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

I have always used Exide lead acid batteries for my 83 XJ550 Maxim. Currently they are $40 locally and I seem to get 3, maybe 4 seasons out of them.

Would an AGM battery give me enough extra years that it is worth the extra dollars?

I only put about 1K on the bike a year, but a lot of small town commutes, so a lot of starts each season!

2. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

I put a MotoBatt (AGM) in my seca in 2016. Still going strong from what I see. It was in the $80 range. That said, I put it on the tender if it's sat too long in the winter. It's always been strong when starting the bike. It's sealed, so zero maintenance or leaking. I put one in my FZR as well.

cgutz likes this.
  3. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

when i had my maxim, i put water in the battery once and made it a point to never do that again, only agm now

chacal and cgutz like this.
  4. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I have a MotoBatt (AGM) in every bike, one is from 2014 and still going strong. If you buy on Amazon research you sellers, some are shipping old batteries. You can buy from their site direct too.

cgutz likes this.
  5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

AGM batteries do give a longer service life. They also do not spill acid out of them if the bike ever gets into an accident (I even consider a driveway drop to be an accident).

cgutz likes this.
  6. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

With XJbikes "heavyweights" dkavanaugh, Kmoe, Jayrodoh and Polock weighing in, it would be hard for me not to justify an AGM....at least that is what I will tell my wife why the big price increase :D. I will blame it on you guys.

I do have a battery tender which I pretty much hook up everytime I park the bike in the garage, and of course over the winter storage.

I was just wondering that since my bike is stored 4 -5 months a year, whether AGM would last much longer. You folks have answered it.