1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

'84 XJ750RL Issue

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Matt Biller, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Matt Biller

Matt Biller New Member

Hello everyone, I regularly ride my '84 XJ750, but have started having an intermittent issue where the bike suddenly loses power, and then snaps back again, repeating this several times before smoothing out again. When the episode happens, the tach goes nuts, up and down and all over. Has anyone else experienced symptoms like this? I also seem to get poorer mileage than I would expect (35mpg) but this has been the case ever since owning the bike, even with carb adjustment.

Cheers

2. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

Check your ignitioncoils under the gastank and or sparkplugcaps/leads.

3. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

If the tach goes nuts it is most likely electrical. With bikes this old and full of unsealed connectors, taking apart the connections and giving them a good clean is ideal.

Does that bike have the kickstand safety switch? If so, I would inspect that. I've had more than one bike sputter/die while riding due to a dirty switch. They get hammered by the elements because of their location.