1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

oil cooler sandwich plate

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by bensalf, Nov 14, 2020.

1. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

hi all,
    i am going to replace the oil cooler on my xj600, project ,as the fitted one is damaged, i want to fit a cheepo one off e-bay, but using a oil take off sandwich plate from e-bay to replace the original, so i can fit a oil pressure /temp gauge.
    my question is what size is AN10 or AN-10 fittings or AN8 or AN-8, these are the coupler nipples that are screwed into the sandwich plates on e-bay
    the oil cooler i am wanting to buy ,has m10 banjo bolt ends on the pipes
    i've not come across the terms AN10 e.t.c., more familliar with BSP or NPT, UNF threads
    thanks
    stu

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Treid it. There is not enough clearance for the adapter plate to be mounted with the fittings in place. They foul on the engine mounting bolt.

You can fit pressure and temp gauges to the oil gallery plugs, or have lines made for the existing oil cooler that will allow sensors to be fitted.

3. bensalf

Free postage

Opens image gallery
    [​IMG]
    yeh, thanks K-moe, i know its tight , i will have to do more measurements, but i think something like this will fit if it is fitted with theconnection nipples to the top , but at say 2'o'clock position, then maybe some angled adaptors for the gauge sensors.

but what does the AN10 or AN-8 mean?

4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

5. bensalf

thanks for that Franz, i had searched on google, but it didn't explain it like that,
    i think i will have to read that a few times, before it sinks in, gonna have to print it off.
    thanks

6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Wikipedia is great your welcome cheers.

7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

there is a guy on FB who made his own plate i think he also added the presure sensor. got the aluminim from mcmaster carr and machined it all out. he did referance xj4ever he may be a member here.
    I will see if i can find him again.

8. bensalf

thanks, XJ550h,
    the ones i pictured above, are well under £20GBP. and there are differing sizes of oil take off and pressure/temp take off.
    didn't get round to doing any measuring today, will try tomorrow.

9. bensalf

did a few measurements today, and a "dummy fit", i got an adaptor plate from a xj6 diversion, off e-bay, fitted the original cooler take off spacer .
    yes, the engine bolt is very near take off pipes, but its original fitment ,so i know it fits. the blue adaptor "above" will fit onto the reducer plate from the diversion, then the spin on filter ,onto the end of the blue adaptor.
    i measured the spin on filter on my Goldwing and its 70mm long . so the final length of the whole thing will be about 35mm longer than the original, but will clear the exhaust, but will stick out 20mm further than the exhaust.

Attached Files:

Franz likes this.
  10. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I have the same adapter plate, spacer and bolt off an AJ6 diversion for my 900f. Not fitted it yet.

11. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Oh man did I screw up. I forgot that you were working on a 600, and that it uses two bolts instead of one for the front engine mount.