1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Politics - I apologize

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by cds1984, Oct 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I could be wrong. I only asked to see what everyone else in the community thinks.
    Learning is good :)
    Of course what is learned and how it is learned matters.
    Practice makes perfect, but incorrect practice makes for being perfectly incorrect.
    I'm not inplying that is happening here, but is is worth noting.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  2. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

Motorbikes are good.

When this all started, they implemented social distancing here and got the word out all over the place.
    I went to the shops one day, with everyone standing dutifully on the dots laid out on the floor at the checkouts except one older guy who seemed to want to give me a kiss he was standing so close.

I said this to him, 'What about social distancing? Do you want to give me a kiss or something'
    He lent right into my face and growled, ' Wear a mask if you don't like it'.

Definitely 2 ways of thinking out there.

Needless to say, I called him a douchebag, the checkout chick chuckled behind her acrylic spit guard screen, and I moved away from the angry old bastard.

Rooster53 likes this.
  3. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

They are the most socially distanced form of transportation. :)

Yammaat, k-moe, Franz and 2 others like this.
  4. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

Here in the state Victoria we have no new covid cases in just over 2 weeks, masks are basically mandatory and social distancing highly recommended. I have no problem with wearing a mask when I'm out 'n about as do the rest af the people I come near, it's the new normal for now. I really don't get what is so onerous about it as well as the hand washing, a small inconvenience for a big result it seems to me.

Happy riding to you all.

Franz and cds1984 like this.
  5. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

Bushy,
    Victoria... winners!
    Good work :)

6. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Option 3 is good then. That and getting the news channels to actually report some news...

7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

“If they would rather die,” ..... “they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population.”

8. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Well, that essentially means nothing. As soon as strict rules are lessened and more businesses open, cases will again be a problem. Masks and distancing cannot cure or eradicate a viral epidemic. Only immunity either natural or by a vaccine will do the trick. Concerning masks, I have to shake my head. I do wear one where needed, such as in a store, but the very act of breathing defeats the purpose. Breath escapes all around the mask where the resistance is minimal. At best it keeps most of your breath from issuing straight forward but does it protect the people to you sides? Breathing in also draws air from the perimeter, but I think less (anecdotally) because the vacuum created does seem to compress the mask against the face. The experts say the virus can suspend in the air for awhile, so where is the protection with a mask, especially the loads of homemade, ineffective versions?

9. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

Not going to vent too much, by my daughter just tested positive (rapid test) and has taken the PCR text to be sure. So, someone, go ahead and tell me this isn't real.

10. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

its real and going to be with us for a very long time. you will be getting a covid shot every year with your flu shot.
    keeping good thoughts for your family

11. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

How is she feeling?

12. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I think some of the theory is that the virus does not travel alone, rather it travels in droplets that are captured by the mask when you talk or breathe. Logic would suggest that forceful talking through a mask could be an issue, but I don't know if that was mentioned in the studies. Side venting is a recognizable issue and therefore the social distancing is probably the most effective means of mitigation.

Hoping for the best for you and your family - best case a false positive

Yes option 3 is what we hope for, unfortunately here in the states and I think in the UK we have reached levels that may not be contained by anything other than lockdowns.

What do you mean by report some news?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  13. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

She's feeling OK. Went on a 6 mile, full pack ruck with her ROTC class at the end of last week and so she's healthy and fit. I talked to her last night and she's waiting for the PCR test results after the rapid test came back positive (they are known more for false negatives than false positives). I've shipped her a pulse-ox meter to make sure she's getting decent air. She's in SLC and Utah has been have "problems" with masks. Even though she's careful, she still got it somewhere.

Huntchuks likes this.
  14. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

Huntchuks..." only immunity or a vaccine will do the trick " .. true. But it's a matter of reducing the risk of infection. Incidentally restrictions here in Victoria were reduced about 3 weeks ago, certainly not back to normal but a bit nearer to it. I don't ride on bald tires with bad brakes and tail gate the car in front, riding is risky it's about reducing that. The US death rate currently is about 10% of Australias population. So reducing the risk looks like a good idea to me.

k-moe and dkavanagh like this.
  15. k-moe

Masks help. They help a lot.
    https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5fb30a6ac5b6a46646702d74

Hospitals throughout the Midwest are calling to other states in order to try and find enough ICU beds. Keep in mind that COVID infections that require hospitalization are in addition to all of the normal need for those beds.

Franz and Rooster53 like this.
  16. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

As an aside.

and because I'm an Australian, obviously.

I have watched many comedians take the piss, seth meyers, stephen colbert, jimmy kimmel, etc etc
    and have always wondered why the weird almost elephant type of logo when they are talking about the current... well incumbent.

Holy shite!
    after some furious googling it isn't actually, what I thought ( which was "the elephant in the room" ) but an actual cartoonic encapsulation of the american republican party as an elephant as being...
    well hell I don't know the point of the cartoons I looked at, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't any Elephants in America at any point... regardless!

At any rate.
    I do now realise that the 'republican' vs 'whateverthell' system is a more than just logic but more like I barrack for my team damnit and thats that.

Go the Tigers! ( for those who don't know Western Australian Football that is a WA football team in the WAFL).

So, in closing I would like to say I understand now that we are actually talking about teams and not logic and I am obviously a simpleton to think otherwise.

Question: Am I wrong?

17. k-moe

You are not wrong. There are many families in the U.S. who are proud of always voting for the same party generation after generation, without regard to the policies espoused by the candidates. to some degree it's a consequence of not having a 'best choice" election system here.

Rooster53 likes this.
  18. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

And also commonly referred to as "tribal politics" a conundrum further fueled by media choices.

Christopher C. Krebs is the first and current Director of the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency in the United States Department of Homeland Security, serving since November 2018 appointed by President Trump.

Well Krebs is history, fired on Twitter by President Trump

And I hope it is going better for other countries - the latest from our White House Coronavirus Task Force:

Extra care out there, please be safe

upload_2020-11-18_14-20-57.png

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    k-moe likes this.
  19. k-moe

Ohio started a 10pm-5am cerfew last night. It might just barely help, but the truth is that the same people that ignored the mask requests will ignore the curfew.

Meanwhile in Kansas, where the legislature stripped the Governor of most of her emergency powers:
    article247248634.html

article247262419.html

[Update]: A friend's new grandson (just over a week old) had a very risky surgery to replace a defective heart valve and repair a hole in his heart this past weekend (the survival rate for the surgery is around 40%). One of the nurses that has been caring for him in the ICU tested positive for COVID today.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  20. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Quite simply repeating over and over coronavirus stories is not news - it's just easy news. The whole world is carrying on, much of this is not reported. This is not to say Cv is not important, nor are the numbers of sufferers and deaths, but it has become the only item on the news agenda, and with it constant nit-picking of ministers actions after the fact. It's allmost a competition amongst news reporters over here - people are turning off in droves over here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.