1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Wet sync floats

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by JCH, Nov 18, 2020.

1. JCH

JCH Active Member

So I removed my carburetors again for the 4 th time in the last 3 months, Color tune was not working and # 2 cylinder running rich.
    Doing wet sync of floats and floats were resting in fuel prior to testing found # 1 and #2 float levels 1 to 2 mm too high from middle of spec.
    Reset floats to middle of spec at 1 mm below seam of carb base and then let float bowls sit for a couple of weeks Dry of Fuel and retested again just to make sure, now after wet syncing the float levels are 3-4 mm too high on 3 of the carbs ???
    Is this due to saturation of floats when sitting in fuel changing the outcome of the float level or leakage in the floats themselves after sitting in fuel bring a different outcome when setting float levels or am just going crazy... after doing this soo many times ?

2. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Remember to never raise the fuel tube when wet syncing. In fact you should lower it a bit so fuel will re-flow into the carb and re-balance with the tube level. If you raise the tube the fuel will not flow back into the carb very easily and the tube level will give a false reading. Not sure if my explanation is understandable.

jayrodoh and k-moe like this.
  3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The term is not synching. The floats work independanly of one another.

The floats are closed-cell foam, and will not saturate with fuel.

The float tangs only need gentle nudges to change the fuel level. If you can see the tang move then you've bent it too far.

Make sure that the float pillars, float pin, and the loop on the float tang are clean and smooth so the floats can move without binding.

Make sure that the float needles are not of the "universal" type that come in many kits that are sold through Ebay.

Also make sure that whatever method you are using to hold the carbs on the bench keeps them sqare and level throughout the process, and that you check for level each time you work on setting the fuel levels.

4. JCH

JCH Active Member

So I rechecked the float levels after letting the carbs rest with the bowls full of fuel for a few hours and they are back to spec again, there has to be some form of saturation with the floats.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  5. k-moe

That is....not typical.

6. Door dude

Door dude Active Member Premium Member

Is the gas evaporating ?

7. JCH

JCH Active Member

I would highly suspect it has to be the floats causing this issue, my question is do I need to replace them and if so are the aftermarket ones that Len sells are any good or am I better off with the o/e ones I have on this bike and remember to set the float levels with the bowls full of fuel and saturated.

8. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

If I'm reading this right, sounds like the fuel level is rising after the carbs sit for a bit? Is there still a fuel supply hooked to the carbs? Maybe the needle valves are leaking which would cause the level to rise.

9. JCH

JCH Active Member

No your not reading it right !
    Issue is when carbs are dry and no fuel supply after sitting for weeks.

10. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

LOL, it was early. Bad rubber tips on the needles swelling with gas and drying out when it sits?

Rooster53 likes this.
  11. k-moe

It should be when the carbs sit without the petcock being set to prime.
    The carbs are open to the atmosphere.
    Fuel evaporates.
    This is a normal condition.

Now the floats should not be changing their height in the fuel just from being dry for a time, however it is possible. I don't think you need new floats; just be sure that the wet-set is done after the floats have been in gas for a few minutes.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  12. JCH

JCH Active Member

Yup... more like a few hours to be sure.
    Thank you for your input...

k-moe likes this.