1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

getting my 650r seca up and running

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by joejr2, Nov 23, 2020.

1. joejr2

joejr2 Active Member Premium Member

got my xj650r seca pretty much done. carbs complete, engine in good order. I cleaned the contacts
    in the handle bar switches and used a multimeter to confirm that the switches were working.
    the wiring harness I used looked in good condition, no obvious wiring damage or bad connectors.
    I put a new battery in it. I turned the ignition key, the neutral green light lit up but when I pressed
    the start button nothing happened. No horn either. I could get the engine to turn over by jumping the
    solenoid poles with a screwdriver. Is there a bench test for a starter solenoid ? I have a few spares
    and I would like to test them all to see which of them is junk before I go through all the circuits between
    fuse panel and the starter button

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Where you pulling the clutch lever in?

3. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Any of the lights work? I had a similar issue when I restored my 650 Maxim. Turns out there is only one ground for the whole harness that bolts to the frame with the bolts that hold the coils in place. Since I had powder coated there was no clean metal and therefore I had no ground. The neutral light is grounded through the engine so that was the only thing working. If the ground from the motor to the frame and/or the main wiring ground is not making a good connection then you won’t have a lot of things working.

I don’t know if the Seca is the same but I suspect it would be.

chacal likes this.
  4. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Or something is not connected correctly in the headlight bucket. All the connections are pretty much shape/color specific, but there are a couple the could interchange. Doublecheck your clutch safety switch lead. I THINK that’s one that actually fits another plug.....

k-moe likes this.
  5. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The best bench test you are going to get is on the bike so the solenoid delivers the full load to a starter. To test if the bike is in working condition just install and test.

If things aren't working then just check the solenoid by installing it and connect 12V to the 2 pin connector - the solenoid should engage and the starter / motor should spin.

k-moe likes this.