1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Oil filter removal

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Sneathmeister, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Sneathmeister

Sneathmeister New Member

Hey all, have an 82 maxim 550 that has sat for a while after replacing parts in the carb. I am on to changing the oil filter, yet am unsure how to remove the old filter. Both words and diagrams would help - also any directions to find a manual, seen some around but wouldn't mind a suggestion from a tried and trusted source.
    I have purchased new spark plugs, battery, air filter, and the few screws my roommate thought I didn't need.
    it has been 5 years since it ran, so I put a few drops of transmission fluid in through the open spark plug threads. The brake fluid looks clear.
    just need to re attach the throttle cable and place parts together.
    New to bike repair and maintenance so any and all tips are greatly appreciated!

2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

The oil filter has a central bolt use a 15mm wrench or socket and ratchet , but sometimes it is rounded off and can be seized . If this is case you may have to resort to vise grips , once you lossen bolt you can wiggle the housing out , you WILL drip oil so be careful, there is a spring on the front Of the filter. A nice upgrade if you can afford it is the spin on oil filter conversion, this is sold by xj4ever on the home page on the upper right corner click it on and you will find most new parts . I upgraded my xj750 Seca makes oil changes very easy and has a cool factor.

3. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

12 mm on the OEM bolt actually.
    If you still have a 15mm wrench in your toolbox throw it out, it doesn’t actually fit anything.

I’ve actually thinned my tools down to 8 10 12 13 14 17 19 22 24 27 30 32 36
    The 13 is only for the KTM, Japanese don’t use that size.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

My Jeep disagrees.

5. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

The conversionkit is interesting.

6. Sneathmeister

Sneathmeister New Member

I have the housing off, and it is a 12mm. However I am stuck on removing the filter from the housing. attached are two pics. that bar across within the threading speaks to me but unsure what exactly it is saying.

Attached Files:

7. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

Just push the bolt through to the other side.
    Probably with force because the tread is biting in the oilrings
    Or turn the bolt out.

cgutz likes this.
  8. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Or turn the filter anti clockwise off the threads.

9. Sneathmeister

Sneathmeister New Member

Appreciate the input, new battery has a good charge, all lights came on. Neutral light flickers on and off, but a little jiggle settles it in.
    I am having an issue with the throttle cable. The part the cable runs through, which is situated between carb 2 and 3 is high enough up, where the thinner inner cable is not exposed. A rubber tubing surrounds it with a metal wound tubing in side of the former. best to order a new throttle cable or are those two outer layers removable?

Attached Files:

10. Brent NZ

Brent NZ Active Member

Without a photo it's hard to say for sure, but you probably need a new cable. The internal steel wire should have a cyljnder attached to the end of it, if that's gone the cable is toast.

11. Sneathmeister

Sneathmeister New Member

Got that one all situated at this point, However at this point - I can get it running but some of the carbs start to leak fuel. Not sure exactly where out of, but it flows pretty well from 2 of the 4. Should I be looking at rings or something else internal?

12. Brent NZ

Brent NZ Active Member

Depends on the source of the leak, but likely to be sticking floats. Easiest to completely remove the carburetors , unscrew the bowl from each unit & check the float needles. Suggest having a can of carb cleaner on hand (aerosol can).

Attached Files:

• z.jpg
      z.jpg
      File size:
      316.2 KB
      Views:
    Sneathmeister likes this.
  13. Sneathmeister

Sneathmeister New Member

Without sifting through the overview and taking the asking route, what should I be looking for in those float needles? Will get the can and I think I am going to replace the boots since it is all coming off anyway

14. Brent NZ

Brent NZ Active Member

I'm an engineer not a mechanic & there will be others on this site far more qualified to comment than me.
    Having said that, two carbs leaking suggests to me it's likely to be sticking float needles. These act like plungers & allow more fuel into the chamber or bowl at the bottom of the carb. First remove the bowl, check the float moves freely up & down by gently lifting up & down. Remove the float and needle, taking careful note how it's assembled. It's a good idea to take plenty of photos, this will assist with reassembly. Check the needle for imperfections, give the needle and recess a good squirt with the carb clean. Make sure the floats don't have fuel inside them by giving them a gentle shake. If they have gas inside them they are leaking and will need replacement. In my experience just pulling apart and reassembling will often fix the problem.

Sneathmeister and Franz like this.
  15. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

you are looking for defects in the tips of the needles most likely you have rubber tips on them also looking for defects in the neeedle seat.
    base of needle has a little post where the clip goes on to secure it to the float tang it should be springy

Sneathmeister likes this.