1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What is CORRECT float height

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by MrSeca, Dec 4, 2020.

1. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

I'm looking for the EXACT, DEAD ON BALLS ACCURATE place where the float height is suppose to be. I've been reading way too much about float height and plenty of people explain it but don't SHOW it and the old manual is a little hard to understand.

Referring to the picture below is the float height suppose to match the red, green, or yellow dot?

Attached Files:

2. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

You are refering to fuel height. I would say the green (top) dot. Looks like you're using Mikuni carbs there. Here is a section of the wording from the Haynes FJ1200 manual. The FJ uses Mikuni carbs.
    Whenever i set the float height i just set the floats until fuel stops pouring out of the jet holes in the carb mouth. Anyway...here

[​IMG]WP_20201204_08_56_19_Pro_LI[1] by Billy Bananahead, on Flickr

Ooops, that's big.

3. JCH

JCH Active Member

I never read this page before, on my bike I can't get the carbs vertical without removing the rear tire while the bike is on the center stand.
    It also says to checked the float level of fuel at the top in the hose on this page, it's my understanding it's at the bottom of the curved level of fuel in the hose.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

5. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Jeeze. Everywhere I post this I'm getting different answers. No wonder setting these levels are confusing.

6. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

The level of fluid in a tube is always set to the bottom of the meniscus, for the sake of consistency.
    That's an industrial standard.
    Whether Yamaha decided to go against that, is another matter.

Franz and k-moe like this.
  7. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

You can measure the levels with the carb on the bike, it just has to be level and usually means putting bike on the center stand and possibly some wood under a wheel. Good luck adjusting them on the bike though, waaaay easier on the bench.

With the carbs level, the fuel level should be ~3mm from your green dot. +/- 1mm is okay but I shoot for 3.

Correct, liquid in a tube creeps up on the sides, the bottom of that curve is called a meniscus.

[​IMG]

JCH likes this.
  8. jayrodoh

Sorry If I'm making this more complicated but one thing to add, never pull the hose upwards when checking the level. The fuel will go back into the bowl and since the valve is closed it will raise the fuel level shown artificially. I like to lower the hose a little once the fuel rises up and stops.

9. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

I would like to know for Mikuni AND Hitachi since I have both. Please don't include pictures of old manuals. They are not helpful. If you know FOR SURE then please tell me red, green, or yellow for either Mikuni, Hitachi, or both.

10. jayrodoh

From the green dot on both.

Levels from Chacals catalog:

Fuel Level Cheat Sheet:

Here's the proper fuel-level settings by model when using the "clear-tube" method of measurement:

Hitachi all HSC32 series models:

NOTE: all of the following models used HSC32 carbs:
    XJ650 Maxim, Midnight Maxim, XJ650RJ Seca (non-turbo), XJ650 Euro all use HSC32 carbs (various versions)
    XJ750 all USA 1981-83 models use HSC32 version 5G200 (Seca) and 15R00 (Maxim and Midnight Maxim)
    XJ750 all Canadian 1981-83 models use HSC32 version 5H200 (Seca) and 15T00 (Maxim and Midnight Maxim)
    XJ750 UK/Europe 11M models, XJ750 Police models 24L and 37H use HSC32 version 5N100

-Fuel level measured via the clear-tube gauge: 3mm +/- 1mm (.12 +/- .04 inches)

-Float height: 17.5 +/- 0.5mm

Hitachi HSC33 series (XJ700 air-cooled models):

-Fuel level measured via the clear-tube gauge: 1.0mm +/- 1mm (.039" +/- .039")

-Float height: 16.0 +/- 1.0mm

Hitachi HSC33 series (XJ750E-II model):

-Fuel level measured via the clear-tube gauge: 5.0mm +/- 1mm (.197" +/- .039")

-Float height: unknown

Hitachi HSC33 series (XJ750RL models):

-Fuel level measured via the clear-tube gauge: 1.0mm +/- 1mm (.039" +/- .039")

-Float height: unknown, but possibly the same as XJ700 air-cooled models (16.0 +/- 1.0mm)

Mikuni BS28 (all XJ550 except 1984 XJ550L):

-Fuel level measured via the clear-tube gauge: 2mm +/- 1mm (.08 +/- .039 inches)

-Float height: 21.5 +/- 1.0mm

Mikuni BDS26 (USA all 1992-98 XJ600 Seca II):

-Fuel level measured via the clear-tube gauge:
    USA: 4 - 6mm (.016 - 0.24”) below float chamber line

-Float height: 6.2 - 8.2mm (0.24 - 0.32”)

Mikuni BDST28 (non-USA all 1992-98 XJ600 Seca II):

-Fuel level measured via the clear-tube gauge:
    1992-96 Canada and Australia: 3 - 5mm (0.12 - .0.20”) above float chamber line
    1992-95 UK: 3 - 5mm (0.12 - .0.20”) above float chamber line
    1996-98 UK: 8.5 - 9.5mm (0.34 - .0.37”) above float chamber line

-Float height:
    1992-96 Canada and Australia: 11 - 13mm (0.43 - 0.512”)
    1992-95 UK: 11 - 13mm (0.43 - 0.51”)
    1996-98 UK: 8.8 - 10.8mm (0.35 - 0.42”)

Mikuni BS32 (all XJ550L, 1984-85 FJ600, and 1984-87 / 1989-91 XJ600):

-Float height: unknown

Mikuni BS30 (all XJ650 Turbo):

-Fuel level measured via the clear-tube gauge: 2mm +/- 1mm (.08 +/- .04 inches)

-Float height: 17.5 +/- 0.5mm

Mikuni BS33 (all XJ700-X and XJ750-X):

-Float height: 17.5 +/- 1.0mm

Mikuni BS35 (all XJ900RK/RL):

-Fuel level measured via the clear-tube gauge: 5mm +/- 1mm (.20 +/- .04 inches)

-Float height: 22.3 +/- 0.5mm

Mikuni BS36 (all XJ900F, FN, N, etc):

-Fuel level measured via the clear-tube gauge: 5mm +/- 1mm (.20 +/- .04 inches)

-Float height: 22.3 +/- 0.5mm

Mikuni BS34 (all XJ1100 and XS1100):

-Float height:
    25.7 +/- 1.0mm (1978-79 all models)
    23.0 +/- 0.5mm (1980 all models)
    not specified (1981-82 all models)

11. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

So far you have given me the most straight forward answer. THANK YOU. The clear tube method heights you included, however, are confusing because it doesn't give a point of reference where to measure from.

Neil Doughty likes this.
  12. jayrodoh

Maybe you’re misunderstanding the process. You don’t set the level to the green dot, you measure the fuel level from it. For example, the hitachi on your Seca 650 should be set to 3mm below that green dot. All those measurements above reference the bottom of the carb base or the green dot in your pic.

k-moe likes this.
  13. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

See the link I posted above. It covers all OEM carbs for all XJ models.

Keep in mind that even the factory service manuals have some errors in them, most of which we know about, but some of which are still new to us here.

MrSeca likes this.
  14. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

With all due respect I want to know where you set the level "TO!" Not FROM. TO! The exact point! Also, the carb body LIP "umbrellas" over the bowl and is different then the CARB FACE where the gasket lays against. The green dot is where the LIP is. Which point of reference do I use? But to entertain what you are saying, if the Red dot is exactly 3mm BELOW the CARB FACE, not the LIP mind you, but the CARB FACE, will that be where you set the fuel level TO? Again, I want to emphasize where you set it TO not FROM.

Neil Doughty likes this.
  15. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Referencing the pic which is a carb bowl from a Seca 650: Since the top of the CARB BOWL rests against the CARB FACE. Would this level be the right point? (see photo)Also, should the absence of the gasket be considered when making this measurement?

Attached Files:

16. jayrodoh

Make a mark 3mm on the side of your bowl then when they are assembled with a gasket in place. The reason they reference 3mm from the bottom of the carb body is stays constant with the depth of the jet into the fuel. The gasket could be an inch thick and you would still need to set the fuel level 3mm from the bottom of the carb body.

Your pic above would be wrong since it does not include the gasket nor take into account that the bowl fits up into the body.

I get that you want to know where to set it TO, but you cannot set it TO that point without referencing the FROM from the body where the jets are fixed.

k-moe and Rooster53 like this.
  17. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Thank you for clarifying that, however, you are referring to the "carb body" as the point of reference. Where on the carb body do you measure from? Do you measure from the "carb face" where the gasket rests against OR the "lip" of the carb body that drapes over the carb bowl?

18. jayrodoh

Lip over the bowl. Green dot in your first pic.

Quick pic from paint. On the left is a carb with a bowl with no gasket. Here you can see the 3mm fuel level. On the right is the same carb with a thick gasket (indicated in green). You can see why marking the bowl is not consistent, if there was a 3mm mark on the bowl on the carb pictured on the right without a gasket and then you install a gasket, the mark would "move" down and then it would run way too lean as the level would be too low. The depth of the jet tube into the fuel affects how rich/lean it runs.

CARB FLOAT.png

chacal likes this.
  19. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Mr Jayrodoh. Congratulations! You have been the only one to explain this to me in a correct and logical manner.

To summarize: The correct level should be, in this case (Seca 650) WITH the GASKET INCLUDED 3mm +/- 1mm from the bottom or "lip" of the carb body.

It should NOT:
    1-be measured from the point on the carb body where the gasket rests against.
    2-be measured from the top of the carb bowl.
    3-be measured without a gasket

Am I finally understanding this correctly?

20. jayrodoh

Logical maybe, but there is plenty of correct info in the links/advice provided before. I basically explained the same thing on top of page 8 but I just went into more detail. I like to understand why and if I can help someone else understand things then cool.

1 and 2 are correct. 3 is not as you can set without a gasket or with three gaskets in there and it won't affect the fuel "level" and only affects the volume. Now if you are going to make a mark on the bowl then yes install your gasket, make a mark 3 mm down and then use that mark to set your fuel level to.

chacal, Franz, k-moe and 1 other person like this.