1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ550H Keyset Troubles/Key Shroud Painting

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by XJ550FirstTimeBuilder, Dec 16, 2020.

1. XJ550FirstTimeBuilder

XJ550FirstTimeBuilder Member

Hey y'all,

I have a few questions about keys. The PO decided that since he lost the only key to the bike, that he'd just drill the ignition and tank keyholes out :( so now, my key is a screwdriver. I wouldn't mind, except that I'd much rather like for my bike to remain mine.

So, here's my first question: as the tank cap and ignition both function just fine, is it possible to install a new keyhole, or do I need to replace the entire ignition switch and tank cap?

Second, the key shroud (I think that's what it's called? I'll post a pic of it) has seen some better days, and I'd love to give it a coat or 2 of spray paint so it isn't sad, mottled plastic. Does anyone have experience with this, or know if I'd need to sand it first/anything similar?

Lastly, this is unrelated to keys/the key shroud, but my right muffler looks like it's been pulled out of the header by a good inch or 2, and the bracket bolt is wearing a line into the swingarm. The factory service manual doesn't really mention anything about muffler maintenance, how do I go about taking the mufflers apart/are there any gaskets I'd need to be careful with, or want to replace?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attached Files:

2. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

I have painted the key shroud with white spray paint formulated for plastic. I have to refresh the paint every couple of years when the black plastic shows through.

XJ550FirstTimeBuilder likes this.
  3. Brent NZ

Brent NZ Active Member

The gas cap key cylinder should slide out for replacement- remove all mechanical parts from the underside to expose the base of the cylinder. Push the tab in (circled on the attached photo), this retains the cylinder and when depressed should allow it to slide out. Ideally the key would be in the cylinder to retain the pins, but I suppose you won't have to worry about that!

x.JPG

4. XJ550FirstTimeBuilder

@Brent NZ, thanks! Now i just need to see if i can track down a replacement... ideally id love to find ignition, tsnk, and helmet holder which are all keyed the same, but that's doubtful.

@lostboy, good to know, i forgot about plastic specific spray cans (you can tell how often i use them). Have you had to sand it or anything prior to painting it?

5. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

6. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

If the xj750j maxim locks are the same I have a set that are keyed alike. Ignition,tank, seat lock, and the power lock.

7. lostboy

Like any paint job it's all in the prep work. Light sanding and cleaning with windex.

8. XJ550FirstTimeBuilder

They might be, I'll look into it and PM you with results. Thank you, if it works out that'd make my rebuild a lot more seamless (having 3 different keys for one bike doesn't really float my boat).

I've been curious about what i'd need to do for prepwork. Apart from a light sanding to get the paint to stick more and a streak free shine, is there anything else you'd recommend?

9. XJ550FirstTimeBuilder

Also, I'm sorry about the late replies. just finished my last final today so it's looking like I'll finally have time to work on some things.

10. Toomanybikes

Even if they are not exactly the same the tumblers should swap out so they will all match

11. XJ550FirstTimeBuilder

12. lostboy

Several light coats of paint are better than one heavy coat.

13. XJ550FirstTimeBuilder

oh, definitely. I'm planning on doing a few coats of red where the "yamaha" wording is, then frog tape or masking tape over it and cut out the lettering and do a few coats of black. I want it to go for as long as possible without having to be redone

14. XJ550FirstTimeBuilder

On a side note, my muffler issue is.... 1/2 resolved. On the plus side, I got the mufflers off and shined them up. On the downside, I don't know what the hell is going on with the muffler inlet. What are these metal tubes? When I put the mufflers back on the bike, where do the gaskets go?

*The pictures are of each muffler, I haven't messed around with the tubes much. This is how they came off of the bike, apart from the pinch band being removed for polishing.

Attached Files:

15. Toomanybikes

Those are adapter sleeves that are supplied with many aftermarket mufflers to fit many sizes of head pipes. The original gasket wouldn’t be thick enough to take up the difference by themselves. If they were removed before these pipes were installed all the sleeves have been used. You could install new gaskets and remove some of the sleeves to adapt to new diameter.