1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Lithium Battery Use in Seca 750

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by HeckticHaze, Jan 6, 2021.

1. HeckticHaze

HeckticHaze Member

Has anyone successfully installed a Lithium battery into a 1982 Seca 750? I have read the charging voltage spec is pretty tight for these new batteries. I was not sure if the charging systems on the older bikes would work with these new battery types. Can anyone suggest a manufacturer and model Lithium battery?

2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Not sure about this type of battery , I am using a sealed AMG battery in both of my Seca 750s these work great and hold good charge .

3. HeckticHaze

HeckticHaze Member

Jetfixer, were you able to find a direct replacement AMG battery to the standard lead acid battery model? I guess what I mean is did it have the same physical measurements? I know some people that have used different model batteries and had to shim them somehow so they would not bounce around in the bikes battery case.

4. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

i was not aware of this happening before, but ------
    i tried to use my lithium battery drill ,over christmas, and it wouldnt work, it had been below freezing for a few days, the battery wouldnt even take a charge.
    so i brought it indoors, and after an hour or so in the warmth, it took a charge ,and then ran fine.
    is this a problem with lithium? --- i dunno,
    just sayin
    stu

Jetfixer likes this.
  5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Lithium starting batteries for vehicles have built-in charge regulators. Many members have used Lithium ion batteries sucessfully.
    Battery University has more info.

6. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

This is a direct fit , unless you are trying to use a smaller battery which Battery Plus may have smaller batteries, you may be able to find one that works.

7. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

I use a lithium powered drill attached to an ice auger for ice fishing. The battery charge doesn't last as long in the cold.

8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Jager should fix that.

jayrodoh likes this.
  9. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I have Motobatt brand AGM batteries in 4 different bikes, they’ve always had a OE replacement size that fit perfectly. One is from 2014 and still cranks the bike like it did when new. Careful if you go the Amazon route, I did for a few and got a couple old batteries.

Jetfixer likes this.
  10. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

11. HeckticHaze

HeckticHaze Member

Folks, thank you for your input. I have found a few manufacturers that offer an AGM style battery replacement. I think I will try that route instead of the Lithium battery. The lithium batteries are real expensive. My last standard lead acid battery only lasted two years. I want something that does not require maintenance. I have an AGM in my Harley and it has been running great for years. I also need to go through my Electrical wiring and make sure I have no corrosion on my ground. I just want to make sure I do not have an Electrical issue that is causing me to shorten the life of the battery.