1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Bearing Number Identification - HELP Please

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by cmoore, Jun 14, 2009.

1. cmoore

cmoore New Member

Hi

I am hoping there are some poeple in here who have seen these (type of)numbers before and can give me some advice as to what the first three may be??

Attached Files:

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Whew! Japanese penmanship just isn't what it used to be...........

We can probably agree on the "44" part.

Also, make sure you note that those numbers are in the OPPOSITE sequence of bearing saddle/journal "sizes" than what is cast into the crankshaft........

3. cmoore

cmoore New Member

thanks for that...opposite??, i hadn't picked that up anywhere...getting ready to order the parts!!..........but..........what are the first three numbers??

and my crank numbers are 2222............so no worries

4. chacal

Well, let's slow down!!

On your crank are two different sets of numbers:

a) one set of 5 numbers which are the crank MAIN JOURNAL "sizes", and which correspond to (but are opposite in sequence to) the numbers scratched onto the crankcase (the ones you have pictured).

b) one set of 4 numbers (the "2222" you listed above), which are the ROD JOURNAL "size" numbers. These rod journal size numbers are used in conjuctions with the ink-stamped "size" number stamped on each connecting rod.

Here, you should study all of this until your your breath gets short, your brain is about to explode, and your eyes are about to pop out of your head......and only then order any bearings:

x

ENGINE PARTS:

--Main and Rod Bearings:

Crankshaft Bearings:

Yamaha used a unique way of "sizing" their engine bearings, both for the crankshaft main journal bearings and the connecting rod big-end bearings.

The factory coded, via a series of numbers indicating a "size code", numbers onto the crankcase, the crankshaft, and the connecting rods.

The crankCASE has numbers hand-scrawled onto the upper engine case that specifies the main bearing saddle sizes for that particular engine case.

The crankSHAFT will have two grouped sets of numbers on one end. The first set of 5 numbers are the main bearing journal size numbers for that crankshaft, and the second set of 4 numbers which denote the rod bearing journal numbers for that particular crankshaft. Both sets of numbers refer to the crank journals starting at the left side of the crankshaft (the #1 cylinder side).

Each connecting rod also has a number that is stamped (with ink) on the rod itself, right where the upper and lower shells meet.

To calculate the correct bearing sizes to use in a particular engine, you will go through the following process:

Crankshaft Main Bearings:

The correct main bearing selection is made by subtracting the crankshaft journal number from the engine case main bearing saddle size number, for each main bearing journal position.

Connecting Rod Big-End Bearings:

The correct bearing selection is made by subtracting the crankshaft journal size number from the rod size number, for each rod/crank journal position.

For both the crank main journal bearings and the rod bearings, you will then use the numbers calculated above to realize a "bearing color" as outlined in the chart below. You would then order the correct "color" bearing for each crankshaft main journal or connecting rod big-end position:

Bearing "Color Codes":

#1 = Blue
    #2 = Black
    #3 = Brown
    #4 = Green
    #5 = Yellow

Example:

- Crankshaft is marked 21223 2111
    - Engine case is marked 34534
    - Rods are marked 6, 4, 3, and 3

The first set of 5 numbers on the crankshaft (21223) are the main bearing journal sizes for that crankshaft, and are sequentially #1 to #5 as read. The corresponding 5 numbers scratched onto the engine case (34534) are the main journal saddle sizes for that engine and are sequentially #5 to #1 as read. For the #1 main journal position (the far left position), we would have 4 (on the engine case) - 2 (on the crankshaft) = 2. The #1 main journal bearing is a "size" 2, which is a "black" bearing.

NOTE THAT THE HAND-SCRAWLED NUMBERS ON THE CRANKCASE READS JOURNALS #5 TO #1 as you read them left-to-right, and thus in a 5/4/3/2/1 sequence for the main journal bearing sizes! They are actually "backwards" from an intuitive approach (and "backwards" from the sequence they are coded onto the crank itself), but are "correct" in spatial orientation and sequence for the top crankcase half (since they are scrawled "reverse" in relation to the crankshaft position within the crankcase).

For the #1 con-rod, using the example above, you would use the 2nd set of numbers on the crankshaft (2111), and the ink-stamped number on the rod itself. So the #1 rod is stamped as 6, and the #1 crank rod journal is 2, and 6 - 2 = 4. Thus the #1 rod was use a "size" 4 connecting rod bearing, which is a "green" bearing.

Notice that it is NOT unusual for a single crankshaft to use a variety of different "size" or "color" bearings.

NOTE: The yellow "size" bearings are used only for crankshaft main journal bearings. Rod bearings were never made nor available in the yellow "size".

IN ALL CASES YOU SHOULD REFER TO A FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL OR A SKILLED, EXPERIENCED MACHINIST AS TO HOW AND WHAT SIZE ENGINE BEARINGS THAT NEED TO BE PURCHASED AND USED DURING AN ENGINE REBUILD! DO NOT PURCHASE ENGINE MAIN OR ROD BEARINGS BASED ON THE "NUMBERS" ALONE----ALWAYS PLAN YOUR ENGINE REBUILD PARTS NEEDED ONLY AFTER ENGINE DIS-ASSEMBLY, PARTS MEASUREMENT, AND CONSULTATION WITH A MACHINIST.

5. cmoore

cmoore New Member

Chacal, thanks for that, i have read your wonderful helpful information and thought i had understood it all.....until you copied this bit with the red letters!!...i cannot see that in the material i found when following your parts for sale link?? am i looking at an older version??

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=1 ... rt=15.html

6. chacal

Hey Cmoore..........yes, I just went and updated it, for some reason that little section was never added to the on-line catalog, my oversight!

7. cmoore

cmoore New Member

Hi Chacal......many thanks.....can you also answer the black and brown bearing issue?...i couldn't see Black XJ550 bearings in your online cat.?

8. cmoore

cmoore New Member

Chacal, here is what the Cat says....in case my reference to black above was a bit vague...

XJ550 engines:

HCP5525 OEM crankshaft MAIN JOURNAL BEARING, for XJ550 engines, "brown" color size, fits all journals in the upper position, use 1 bearing shell per journal, or 5 per engine, each:
    $ 11.50

HCP5525SET5 OEM crankshaft MAIN JOURNAL BEARINGS, for XJ550 engines, "brown" color size, set of 2:
    $ 55.00

HCP5520 OEM crankshaft MAIN JOURNAL BEARING, for XJ550 engines, "brown" color size, fits all journals in the lower position, use 1 bearing shell per journal, or 5 per engine, each:
    $ 11.50

HCP5520SET5 OEM crankshaft MAIN JOURNAL BEARINGS, for XJ550 engines, "brown" color size, set of 2:
    $ 55.00

9. chacal

Yes, unfortunately the "black" size main journals bearings are not available for the 550 engines...........

10. cmoore

cmoore New Member

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!..........what am i meant to do about that??

11. wizard

wizard Active Member

you have to get your journals milled to suit shells you can get.

12. chacal

Translation: dig deeper into the wallet..........

13. cmoore

cmoore New Member

so, what is the difference between brown and black, or black from an XJ650, i.e there are no other XJ with the same specs?

14. chacal

The difference between all of the different bearing "colors" is the thickness (ID) of the bearing shell. Yamaha used a unique and creative manner of specifying their bearing sizes, beginning with not releasing any specifications for what the nominal size of the crank journals should be...........kind of makes things tough, but luckily the engines last a good long time!

No, no other (that we know of) engine bearings will fit.

15. cmoore

cmoore New Member

So, is that why you say to not get to carried away by the "colour"? but instead get an engine re-conditioner to confirm the sizes before ordering?..i would take from that as well that black is the smallest size?

16. Turbobob23

Turbobob23 Member

This is very helpful. I had just now posted a question about bearing sizes but then found this answer. I haven't split my case yet on the eng rebuild I'm doing for an xj1100. But an older spare case I had did not have any numbers scratched in the cases at all