1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My Johnny Cash bike ( one piece at a time)

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jetfixer, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Got more done bike is almost ready to ride , today changed rear drive gear oil . Rerouted choke cable , and throttle cable , and tied up wiring harness . Painted mirrors as plastic was faded , while I was at it repainted the handle bar covers . Still waiting on some relays I ordered from eBay , the yellow relay so I can get headlight working . Starting to clean up some of the cosmetic items , good times working on my XJ great way to start 2021

2. Jetfixer

Finally got my relays I bought off of eBay, my headlight works whoo . The only thing that does not work is the auxiliary light , think it is in the switch getting late and it is cold in garage will try in morning. For giggles I took cover off the yellow relay ....now I know why it does not work , looks like it was under water corrded and contact inside is gritty .

3. Jetfixer

I rode for first time in 2021 ....rode all of 20 feet under own power ...whooo it pulled good . Came a long way from a pile of parts ( and a bunch missing) I'm totally pumped it runs pretty good . My wife knows I really want to ride for real ,but snow and ice and new tires and 30F degree temp will wait. Now down to cosmetic items and got a couple of oil leaks well drops I need to track down . The petcock I'm using I ordered awhile back it is an aftermarket fuel feed is on forward of assembly, so I had a Virago petcock that looks just like it . I put it on and of course it seeps, ordered the factory petcock and overhaul kit . At least I have spare parts .

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    Franz likes this.
  4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

no need to winterize that one :)

5. Jetfixer

Latest pictures , picture of the ignition switch before and after ( xj4ever supplied the decal ) , the picture of the other decals I found on eBay not for the xj but is for Yamaha . This has been a real journey still have some issues to work through .

Attached Files:

Franz, tj. and StarGeneral like this.
  6. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

With the switch decals, what's the deal? - Paint the switch, float decals on, then laquer? On all my bikes the handlebar switches need doing, but most likely the 650 seca (since it will be the only original bike) will have newly painted switches with new scripts/decals.

7. Jetfixer

Nope the Xj750 Seca the markings are a silk screen stencil and they wear off , I used these decals on my yellow Seca I really like the effect .

8. Jetfixer

I installed new Honda CB 750 coils , the xj750 coils were badly cracked and had repaired with JB weld but decided to replace.

Attached Files:

9. Jetfixer

Updated bike runs better with the CB coils , I have rode exactly five miles ( all around my block several times) still have carby issues it idles great but feels like it is only hitting on three cylinders and then kicks in . Of course we have four inches of snow out and temp is way to cold to mess with bike .

10. Jetfixer

Temp got to 36 degrees...after 12 days of snow, below average temperatures...could not resist the Johnny Cash bike started after cranking a few times she fired up . Old yellow my other Seca took a little longer and finally fired up ....oh I soooo want to ride ...going down my street is a bit like a roller coaster mounds of ice or snow or actual pavement..and we are supposed to get another snow storm . Good times

11. Jetfixer

Temp hit 50 ...so tried to ride bike got to end of street AND promptly died :( pushed it home ...WHAT is wrong :oops:...the fuel line was kinked ..and it started up . I have this running great at idle but not quite right at speed . I rebuilt these carbs a couple of years ago .. I suspect the slides on number three cylinder maybe hanging up . When I got these carbs all the slides were seized , the clunck test this one is slightly slower than the other cylinders . Still need to plate and insure bike so trying to resist riding ...hmmm got out my yellow Seca plated and insured OMG this runs so great . Other than needing a quick clean up it is good to go . The JCB on the other hand has some oil leaks and the front brake lines really need up graded to braided lines . I want to convert to the spin on oil filter , like my yellow Seca . The feel of these bikes is different my wife says the JCB is lower then old yellow ...she night be right . The thing the sucks right now is temp went up BUT now the mountain snow more is melting so lots of puddles and salt and sand discourages me from hoping on right now . Will see how it looks in a few days supposed to be warmer for week.

12. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Glad you keep making progress on her. I too took one of my bikes out yesterday, just to get out. The roads still had spotty ice and yes the corners all had sand. I took it slow in the corners and stayed away from he ice spots. Coming home a deer jumped in front of me, all went well and I made it home safe. I hope to get out more this next week. Feels so good to get back on the bikes.

Jetfixer likes this.
  13. Jetfixer

Yea no deers spotted , but now that snow is melting off there are hidden dangers ...trash, pieces of metal, even newspaper , and sand gravel . After several months of not riding ...you get rather "rusty" and the bike feels kinda alien . Since JCB is being pieced back together there are things that "feel" different from my other Seca .

14. Jetfixer

Now it is raining ...so now riding for this kid , so worked on bikes , my yellow Seca the left rear turn signal lense one of the short screw had cracked off . Of course had a couple of spare parts. Worked on the JCB went and broke out my Morgan tune and synched carbs , I had done this earlier, they were not far off . Put on the clutch cable bracket and vacuum hose bracket , had bought these from xj4ever awhile back . Installed the side covers ...now I'm not sure what to do have not decided if I'm going to keep it or sell it on .

15. Jetfixer

I'm not happy , under load only running on three cylinders, going to have to pull carbs off ...

16. Minimutly

Hmmm, maybe try a plug first?

k-moe likes this.
  17. Jetfixer

Nope good spark , I think a slide is hanging up , these carbys were pretty gummed up when I got them , and the slides were seized. The diaphragms are good , I don't mind pulling the carbs off , but temp dropped again .

18. Minimutly

Good spark? Can you see it on load, when you're riding along? That's the time plugs fail..

k-moe likes this.
  19. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

When I put my slides back in I coat them with mystery oil just to help them slide in and hope it stick there for a while. Has worked on many rebuilds. My latest carbs I cleaned yesterday were really gummy on the slides. The bowels were okay but the nasty stuff was on the needle and slides. Always something interesting.

Jetfixer likes this.
  20. Jetfixer

Think I figured out part of my carb problem , I pulled carbs , number three slide was a little tight cleaned it up much better . Did a bench synch . Put carbs back on and she screamed to 5k :mad: pulled throttle cable off of bracket idled perfect , I had fitted a new throttle cable , pulled apart throttle and I feel like an idiot I had it positioned wrong so cable had tension and it answered why the adjusting ferrule would cause it to rev with barely movement . Getting late still need to hook up airbox boots so will mess with that tomorrow :p

tj. and Franz like this.