1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Maxim X in boxes

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by PiotrS, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

2. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Ignition timing is not adjustable on these. Pointer is useful for timing cams in if they have to be removed etc. but you would probably do that procedure without the pointer.

Regardless of the miles, that the PO said, etc. I would always check the clearances/document the shims if they are unknown to you.

3. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Well I learned something today. My service manual is 1985, I had no idea they would have changed this.
    @PiotrS can you tell us when the date of manufacture is from the steering neck decal?
    Let's verify for sure if you have a 700 or a 750, you referenced kms before.

4. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Yes

5. PiotrS

PiotrS New Member

Valve clearance adjustment is my forthcomming task. First of all must asambled everything and make it run. So far I do not have spark on plugs but must first buy new battery and replace sparkplugs. I connect with wires and starter cranks but slowly and no spark. Looks also like there is a mess in coils, one is original a nd second definitely not mounted with zip. I have also a small problem because previous owner broke two bolts in a head that keeps pipes. Must slowly put all puzzles together because today I become slightly mad.

6. PiotrS

PiotrS New Member

Can not take a photo of the decal but will do surely tomorrow. But it is US version because front turn signals are with tail lights. But from the other hand tacho is in km.

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Probably because you can find TDC with a pencil in the #1 spark plug hole.
    The pointers tend to get bumped out of adjustment anyway. They are nice to have, but they can't be relied on unless you are the only person working on the machine.

Timbox and hogfiddles like this.
  8. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

That is a common problem, but still very nasty.
    Lots of discussion on here dealing with that.

From the parts schematic it looked like the pointer is slotted so besides bending it there is potential to mount it off kilter anyway.
    A little off topic but here are pics of the process I went through to find exactly 28 degrees BTDC when I put electronic ignition on my BSA.
    I bought the TDC tool but borrowed the dial indicator.
    finding TDC-.jpg
    all set up for timing the ignition-.jpg

Franz and k-moe like this.
  9. PiotrS

PiotrS New Member

So here we go, steering decal. What we can say about the bike having regard that information?

Attached Files:

10. PiotrS

PiotrS New Member

But now, I face a problem. Lets start from beginning.
    There i no spark from both coils. When I push starter button lights go off and no cranks. I checked side stand sensor and clutch sensor and both works fine. There is also no any kind of connection on starter relay (small wire) when push the start button. when I connect (using wrench) both red big wires from battery, it cranks. Battery is brand new btw. So I stuck and have no idea where to looking for problem. Starter ralay can be also malfunctional but it should not have any influence for sparks. So please help where to looking for my "missing sparks"? Because of all symphtoms I assume it is something that cuts off spark to not alloud starting.

Attached Files:

11. PiotrS

PiotrS New Member

Another question as I'm looking for spark:): where is located starting cicuit cut off relay? And what does this relay, is this very malfunctionable? It s cutting off when motocycle has accident or what?

12. Rooster53

You should have an integrated unit that combines the starter cutoff relay, the flasher relay, and the auto cancel unit, it will be labeled 41R-71 but that will be hidden under the mounting grommet. To test the starter cutoff section see below:

upload_2021-1-22_12-43-43.png

You can disable the safety ignition cutoff for troubleshooting by removing the sidestand relay, which should be located under the left side cover and have a blue marking.

It would also be prudent to do the resistance checks on the ignition coils and pick-up coils found in the manual.

13. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

The starting circuit cut off relay is directly above the carbs.
    There is a pretty good write up in the OEM manual troubleshooting the starting system on these. There is a test shown you can do for this relay. The electrical guru’s here on the forum should know what it actually does.

14. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

@Rooster53 answers the question faster than I can suggest he would. Best forum on the net.
    @PiotrS you are now in good hands.
    Just follow @Rooster53 advice.
    Do you have a manual for the X?

15. Rooster53

https://dissingermotostorage.z13.web.core.windows.net/

1985 xj700 Maxim USA - it may be a bit of a hybrid seeing how the reluctor appears to be from a 1986 with no timing pointer.

In order for the starter to engage you need working components - starter switch, starter solenoid, starter cutoff relay, starter, and safety switches. The three safety switches are the side stand switch, neutral switch, and clutch switch.

The logic for the starter to engage when the starter button is depressed is bike in neutral OR bike in gear with clutch pulled in AND side stand up.

The logic for the ignition cutoff (spark) for the bike to run is bike in neutral OR bike in gear AND side stand up.

16. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

You should have gutted a spark plug, threaded it m8 (or welded a nut on the top), and used a bolt with a rounded end to stop the piston just below tdc...

17. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

Poitr,
    What are the 9 digits on the cover behind the oil fill cap? Might be a 1986 engine in a 1985 frame.

Also, a couple of troubleshooting pages that may help are attached.

Attached Files:

18. PiotrS

PiotrS New Member

I got the manual and will follow the instruction. For now I do left for a weekend so I'm not able to read 9 digits, but will shut a pic and send over on Monday.

19. PiotrS

PiotrS New Member

@Rooster53 I remember the side stand relay. Correct me if I;m wrong: throwing that relay to rubbish I'l bypass cut off rely and also kick stand security?

20. PiotrS

PiotrS New Member

I have also problem with identification of where exactly expansion tank should be located? I was browsing manual and could not find it because of pics poor quality. I have also qustion regarding pain in the ass which is broken muffler bolts in head. I have two broken and there is few opportunieties how to fix them but maybe yo have some already working ideas? I was intend to drill inside 4,5mm hole and to try rebuild the thread with thread maker. Another possibility is to drill 8mm hole and use heli coli for 6 mm. Any suggestion will be welcommed.