1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Looking for ortho photos of valve shim tool - 1984 fj/xj 600 - 3d model & print

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Phil B, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Phil B

Phil B Member

Hello,

As the tile says im hoping someone can send orthographic type photos of the valve shim tool for a 1984 fj/xj 600 :) Importantly please put it directly next to a ruler so I can infer the scale.

If you have time and feel like taking a few more photos from different angles that would be most appreciated. Just make sure to leave the part and ruler exactly in the same place. With 10-15 photos I might be able to use photogrammetry software to improve the accuracy of the replica.

My understanding is that it would be the Motion Pro 08-0017, or equivalent tool.
    https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0017

My plan is to make a 3d model replica and 3d print it to see if it might be strong enough to be a solution.

If the effort is successful i will post the model here for the community to use freely.

2. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

a piece of bent cable or a zip tie saves all that :);)

3. Phil B

Phil B Member

Yeah, I've seen that trick.

But with the proliferation of 3d printers pretty soon lots of peoples friends and nephews will have one. It would be good to start building up tools that can be 3d printed on the cheap to fix our bikes with. One of the best uses of these machines is for making tools. It's a pretty cool technology.

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

before you start on that bucket holder, try printing a 10mm 3/8 drive socket and see how long that lasts
    some things are made of steel because they need to be made of steel
    push a bucket down with a screwdriver then rethink that project
    try printing a front brake lever instead

k-moe likes this.
  5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I doubt that you would be able to print a tool that would withstand the necessary clamping force with the current filiments that are suitable for hobby printers. Not without modifying the tool dimentions in a way that would interfere with access to the shims anyway.

You might be ale to print one in resin though and it would work, for a while. Resin gets pretty brittle after curing, so I'm not sure.

6. Phil B

Phil B Member

Post some pics and let's find out!!!

Its an experiment. PETG or ABS at 100% infill might just get the job done. Even if it only works for one round it will still be less than $1-$2 worth of filament. Not a bad tradeoff.

7. k-moe

My valve holding tool is in a box of spare parts somewhere in the garage. I tried using it once, then gave up on the thing because it was so tedious to use. If I come across it when I start unpacking in earnest this summer I'll take photos on graph paper for you.

12 ga insulated copper wire is cheap (short scrap pieces are easy to come by), almost infinitely reuseable, and works perfectly.

8. Phil B

Phil B Member

Thanks K-moe!

If it's the hook shaped one id be happy to model and print it...post it for the community if it works. The screw in plate type, I don't think there is any chance to 3d print that design. But the hook that gets squished between the cam and bucket seems like it might possibly work.

But in the meanwhile I may just try that trick to get my shims out....just measured this aft and will definitely need to swap out a good half of them.

9. k-moe

It's the plate type. The hook type won't work on the 650/700/750 engine.

10. Phil B

Phil B Member

Ahhh, no worries then. The plate type is almost certainly not suited to 3d printing. Thanks anyhow. Hopefully someone with the hook type will chime in.

11. k-moe

Not for the hobbitest. Not yet anyway.
    Sintered metal 3D would work very well for that. There are some resins that might do the job, but wouldn't last very long in regular use.

12. Phil B

Phil B Member

I ended up using the zip tie method in the meanwhile..... No complaints. Pretty nice little trick.

But if someone wants to upload those photos ill test out a 3d printed version, see if its a solution and post a working model.

13. 50gary

50gary Active Member

Zip tie, folded in half and use pliers to make it into a hockey stick shape, i.e. the bottom .75" bent as the hockey stick blade.
    Put the cam lobe down (holding valve open) insert zip tie into the spark plug hole and point the 'blade' towards the valve,
    then crank the engine so the cam lobe now points up, 90* perpendicular to the shim face. Use a tiny screwdriver to push
    down the bucket and another tiny pointed tool awl or screwdriver to separate the shim from the bucket. Remove shim with
    a magnet tool. There is a small cutout on top of the bucket to aid in the separation. It is so easy it's silly. I've never done this
    before and was worried I'd screw up, not even a little problem. Checked all 8 valves, came back the next day and did it again
    just to make sure I didn't commit any rookie mistakes.
    Cheers, 50gary