1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Question regarding oil for Radian 600

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jake750, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Jake750

Jake750 Member

The Radian 600 Manual says that 20-40 or 10-30 oil should be used, depending on temperature. There seems to be a real lack of availability for 20w-40 and 10w-30 motorcycle oil. The only motorcycle oils at the local auto parts store are either 10w-40 or 20w50.

Am I good to use 10-40 oil as long as it's API and JASO???

Also, is there a motorcycle oil, or select few oils, that is commonly regarded or agreed upon as "best" for these older bikes? I've always used Honda gn4 or Yamalube in my dirt bikes and modern street bikes and never thought twice about other brands. I just googled "best motorcycle oil" and brands I hadnt heard of such as Motul, Lucas, Royal Purple, Redline, etc seem to be "rated" higher than good old Yamalube.

Thanks guys.

2. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

I would assume the Radian needs similar lubrication as the Maxim?

If so, I have used Shell Rotella T4 15-40w JASO rated diesel engine oil for years. My bike is like the Energizer bunny....it just keeps going and going.

k-moe likes this.
  3. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

As far as my (Euro)experiences go regarding Yamaha's; Motul 5100 10-40 does the trick excellent.

Jake750 likes this.
  4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Link in my signature

also be aware that the first number is how the oil will behave in cold weather, so it’s not really relevant unless you will be riding when it’s below 40 degrees or so.

brands don’t matter. Meeting or exceeding certification requirements does.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021