1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Plotting a Rebuild

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Crackjack, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Crackjack

Crackjack New Member

XJBikes,

Here is the situation I've got on my hands. I have my first bike, a 81’ Midnight Maxim xj650 and it's having some issues with cylinder 3 not always firing and slipping out of 2nd under load. I love the bike and want to keep it. I also want to rebuild an engine! Found a parts bike for $50 and have it nearly stripped. The parts bike is a 82’ Seca xj650. I have been practicing doing things like taking off the shifter cover before I get into the Maxim. Also it gives me a basis for comparison. Plus now I basically have two of everything! My questions are as follows. Where can I find a xj650 nos or updated primary chain guide? Can I reuse the timing chain tensioner? Are the dogs out of the 82’ gonna fit my 81’? What gasket sealer should I use for the cases and then the covers? Got some good parts off the seca. I'll be posting those as I get along. Send me a DM if you have any parts you're hunting. Give me feedback if i'm missing stuff.

My plan of attack is

1. Take the shifter cover off the Maxim and see if there are loose screws or broken springs. Look for bits of rubber down there from the guide.

2. If there is no sign of any of that tear it down

3. Replace all consumables upon reassembly

4. Love and cherish the XJ
    Current order includes

Complete Gasket set
    Rings
    Carb Rebuild kit
    All fluids
    Fork seals
    Caliper
    Bore Gauge IMG_3495.jpg IMG_3506.jpg IMG_1377.jpg

Attached Files:

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Your parts bike is the rarer of the two, and quite desireable.
    Your runner is also an uncommon model.
    You sir have two bikes to put back into running order, not one. I don't see pictures of the Seca. How many parts are missing?

contact info@xj4ever for parts.

Your Maxim engine probably doesn't actually need rebuilding, the misfire could be as simple as a bad ignition wire cap. Diagnosis first.
    Slipping out of 2nd could be a real problem, but again diagnosis first.

Read the first link in my signature. Welcome aboard.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    Crackjack likes this.
  3. Crackjack

Crackjack New Member

Thank you big time on the diagnosis advice! I'll get it diagnosed tomorrow. The big thing is the seca is without a title... its last reg was in cali in 97 no paperwork to be found. I'll see if I can file with the Cali MVD to get a title. Keep you posted. Should I post any questions on this thread or should I start another K-moe?

4. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    After a look at your photos, are you sure your Midnight is a 650? The dual front discs would indicate it is a 750 (bonus!). Somewhere here in this site there is a VIN decoder that will determine what you have, or at least what it was born as.
    Also Vermont has a procedure for a remote registration that you can eventually turn into a home state title. I have not done it but have read about it. So does South Dakota. In fact I read somewhere recently this is so popular that something like 30% of South Dakota registered vehicles belong to out of state residents. I can neither confirm nor deny this. Good Luck, have fun.
    John

5. k-moe

California is tough to get bikes titled in though Vermont. It can be done, but it's a huge hassle and from what I've been told it comes down to finding the right person at the right DMV office.

Also both engines are Non-YICS. The 750 engine was only offered as a YICS. That parts bike may in fact be made of parts.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  6. k-moe

One thread for now. IF you end up working on both bikes then make a second for the Seca.

Also I'm still not sure exactly what you have based on the photos.

I see two Maxims in the photos.

Frame numbers and engine numbers would go a long way to identifying exactly what you have.
    TECH TOPIC: Model ID and VIN's

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021