1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ750 followed me home..

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Timbox, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I could not pass up the price on this. Need to find the key code as there are no keys. No title either but for the price and for what it is, had to grab it.
    [​IMG]DSCN0025 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSCN0026 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSCN0027 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSCN0028 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSCN0028 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    Will need to find a air box, carb to box boots, keys and title. Have a few other bikes in front of this one, but I had to get it and store it. Only thing that is missing is the air box.

Jetfixer and Stumplifter like this.
  2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

key code may still be on the bottom of the ignition key

3. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    Hey! Congrats! I hope your fellow inmates here had a little influence on your deciding to save another neglected XJ. I would have done the same (again) if not so far from this one.
    John

Jetfixer and Timbox like this.
  4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Yes this board and the guys a wrench with on Tuesday nights. Looks to be an interesting bike, had no idea that the XJ's had a cross over bike with the dash and lights. The 750 Seca I have has the rectangle gauges, my 700 has the round ones, this as almost the same type as the Seca. Seca bars, but the seating is lower like the XJ700N...different.

If I find the key code is there a link I can follow to get a key made? Thanks

5. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

I think you can take the key code to any locksmith and they can make the key. At least that was the case with my Nissan 280ZX.

6. XJ550H

a few people on ebat make keys from the code about 10$ each or a local locksmith may be able to do it

7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

^^ Thanks guys will get to that very soon. I guess the 1982 Maxim 750 was the only yr they shared the rectangle gauges with the Seca. I could be wrong.

8. XJ550H

no you are correct the 82 has the atari style package, the 83 has the round cluster like the 650 and 550 maxims, 83 also has the midnight maxim.
    the 750 maxim was a 2 year bike in the US with 3 styles.

9. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I think I will try to make my own key if there is no code. I am playing with another project bike but want to get to this one to see if I got a heck of a deal. Got the front time fixed so I can now move it around the shed. I hope to be able to pull that gas tank dent out (or have someone do it for me). I like the riding position of this yr's setup. I little different, but comfortable. A unique bike.

Jetfixer likes this.
  10. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Pulled the ignition today and found the code. Local guy says he can make a key from the code. Hoping this will work and start to work on the bike.

Stumplifter and XJ550H like this.
  11. XJ550H

in case the gas cap cylinder is stuck you may want to start treating it with pb blaster, kroil, or atf/acetone 50/50 mixture.

12. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Will do XJ550H, I have a local guy sending me a key in the mail off the code on the ignition. I am playing with a Magna 700 now so have lots to keep me busy. Will be interesting to see how the key works and how deep the damage is. Will have to find a air box and maybe get that dent out of the tank. Our temps are starting to go up and live is also getting in the way of hobby, but that happens.

13. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Key came in and it does work on the ignition, but that is it :mad: I was really hoping that getting the key for the main lock would work on the tank and the seat. I picked up a basic lock pick set and in less then 15 mins, I was able to pick the tank and the seat.

Contacted ebay guy with ignition code and they say it is not a valid code. I will have to send them a pic of the ignition and might have to get a used set off ebay to make the bike work right. Still a cheap bike and a one yr production as well.

The gas tank was full of nasty gas and a little rusty, have the Evapo Rust doing its job for the next few days. I will be able to pull the carbs now and take a look at all the electrical stuff. Spark and compression checks will be next. The old fuse box was removed and those inline buss fuse holders put in place. Nasty, so that will have to be changed. I still need a air box for the beast as well.

Jetfixer likes this.
  14. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Got to take a look at the bike today. Removed all the old bus fuse inline connectors the PO had in place. I hooked a batter to her and there was nothing when I turned the key. Extended some wires and put in proper min fuses. Hooked up the batter and electrical system is alive. All lights and signals work. Didn't see if the Atari was working the way it should, long way from trouble shooting that.

Took a look in the cylinders, #4 was scary. This bike had PODS on it and had sit outside for some time. 1,2 and 3 intake boots were full of water, #4 cylinder was full of water. Took compressed air and went to work on the cylinder. With B-12 chem tool and mystery oil, I was able to get the cylinder cleaned out. This was a messy process and took some time. Leaving some clean mystery oil in all cylinders I tool a 19mm wrench and tried to turn the motor. It did turn but not too far. I went back to the tried the starter button, I heard a good click but starter was not moving. Removed the starter to test it, yep done.

PO has tried to rebuild the starter motor, there are marks on the side from a grinding wheel when they cut off the OEM retaining bolts. This will be my first XJ starter rebuild. Lots of good vids and references to looks at. I plan on hand spinning the engine again this morning to see if the engine is free spinning.

Pulled the carbs also and started the cleaning process. Carbs were not too bad and only #1 was green. Looks like the intake boots are cracked but I will check them out better later on.

Jetfixer likes this.
  15. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Looks like this might be a full engine swap out. I pulled the starter and it looks to be beyond repair without rebuild kit.
    [​IMG]DSCN0085 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSCN0084 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    One of the magnets on the inside was no longer glued in place. The winding looks like the plastic coating has been compromised in a few places. The brush holder has seen better days. I am guessing the PO never used "O" rings when they had it apart last time. All the water I found in the cylinder also looks like it did a job on the starter.

The engine does not make a full rotation either. I jacked the back tire up put her in high gear and turned the wheel to a very distinctive stopping point. All pistons look good with no top damage from valves, valves are not hanging. If it was a broken ring I think I would feel that inside the cylinder?
    [​IMG]DSCN0089 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSCN0087 by Tim Brown, on Flickr

I have the other Seca 750 that I am having issues getting a title for. The sticker on the steering stem has faded and one of the numbers "1" is wore down. WI didn't like the pic I sent them and the local police don't like the looks of the sticker. I guess the Seca could be a donor for this Maxim. Between the two bikes I could get one good bike out of them. Lots of work but what the heck, have to keep these ladies on the road.

16. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Let the cylinder soak for a while and she now rotates all the way around. I am glad it was on the top of the intake stroke when the bike was parked. I am hoping I don't have to pull the head and hone that and all the cylinders. The good news is no need to change out engine with he Seca now. I will have to find another starter. Tried to swap parts with a Virago starter I had around. Nope, larger brushes and many other things too different. I guess I need to look into ebay or have a member PM with a price for a starter. Thanks

So rebuild kit for one of these is around $20. Hmmm

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  17. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Tim, if you want, send me the gas and I can have our reknowned locksmith up here make a key.

also, if you need an airbox, I think I got one

18. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

I got you beat ...my Johnny Cash bike was a frame and engine for 100$ lol it is now a whole bike ...same deal I have a valid title but will have to jump thru hoops to plate.

19. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Got the starter back in the bike and seems to be working fine. I will check the valve shims today and then maybe put the carbs back on her. I would like to see if she will fire up. Sense I have all the plugs out and valve cover off I will do compression test and see what is going on in the engine.

20. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Got the shims all pulled and number recorded. Put the carbs back on. Will do clearance check tomorrow and then see if the old girl has spark.