1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Uxbridge Brule

Uxbridge Brule Active Member

What engine is in the tracer? 700? I test rode the xsr700 and hated the throttle it seemed like a light switch on or off. It might be just that bikes fuel injection but carbs seem to suit me better.

2. Cory Ciarrocchi

Cory Ciarrocchi New Member

Put my new painted 750 tank on my 82 650 maxim!! Looks and runs like a dream!!

Attached Files:

3. Marchy

Marchy Member

Valve shims valve shims valve shims !!!

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

only 3?;)

5. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

Rode the first time on my new bike.. a 2006 Yamaha TDM900 abs with 37k km.
    Was during the testride I did today and bought it/him/her/? on the spot.
    Won't pollude this xj forum with this bike just thought I would mention it.
    Still is a Yamaha ..lol

6. XJ550H

https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/forums/other-motorcycles.5/. We still would like to see photos

7. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

IMG_2072.PNG IMG_1254.JPG Ordered rebuild kits for brakes, rh handlebar switch, headlight bucket brackets, indicator mounts for this..
    Ok, that pic was from the ebay ad, it's since been put on wheels, I've had it running. I think I may have a thread somewhere.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    Dave in Ireland likes this.
  8. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

Today I went riding with the Tracer 700.
    Nice bike but to pro-aktive with steeering, seat/sitposition. It's like a moped.
    TDM 900 it is.

9. Marchy

Marchy Member

Start color tune on The boys Radian with pods wish me luck lol

Attached Files:

10. Minimutly

Rebuilt lhs and rhs bar switches, using bits and spares from others. You have to be careful, some switches have the right colour wires but the rating is for a headlight relay, so they are thinner.
    Managed to keep both lhs plugs and sockets but had to go single male and female on the rhs. Headlight bucket in place, binnacle and tacho cable fitted. It will be good to take this for a quick spin once I've fitted the rebuilt callipers, rebuilt the clutch.... must be more to do...

11. Minimutly

Tested the above 650 seca work - all fine - the headlight worked, probably first time in 10 years, solenoid clicked, turned the engine over. Looking for a seca headlight in the uk, if anyone has one. Also looking for an original seat strap and chrome bits - might need to import those from the States - eek.
    The whole lot will come out of the frame once I'm happy, but I have to take if for a spin first.

12. XJ550H

it is my understanding all the 650s in uk are of the seca type with the 8 inch head light. except the maxims

13. Minimutly

You're correct. The maxim was only ever an import from the US, or, like mine, from Japan. The seca I have was a UK bike - no headlight relay, no side stand switch, just a neutral/clutch in relay.
    Plans for the seca are to get it running and riding, then a strip down to weld and paint the frame, rebuild with everything original.

14. XJ550H

Someone who lives nearby had a 750 caliper on there's 550 and had messed up the Allen head bolt. So I swapped him a 550 caliper for the 750 caliper. Then I tried to remove the bolt . The caliper had been painted with silver paint ugly. So I removed the paint around the bolt in the other rim that sticks out of the caliper. Cleaned all the paint off treated it with some Kroil for a couple of days. Still no luck did the freeze spray on the bolt make sure it was free, shrink it down a little bit to break it loose more kroil. First I tried driving the Allen socket in a little deeper it just made the whole thing worse. My next step was to take a torx star socket number 45 drive it into the Allen bolt put the breaker bar on and after little grunting and groaning it finally broke free. This is a suggestion I have heard to do several times from k moe and it works very well. So thank you for the tip. I now have an extra 750 caliber. caliber I like that caliper. Got to like this talk to speech stuff.
    I also got a 550 petcock out of the trade next is to rebuild that. It looks like somebody tried to seal it with glue around the edges WTF

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  15. Eric Hughes

Eric Hughes Member

Spent the last two days rebuilding carbs. Only got two done so far. Got the complete kit from Len of Course and it was worth it so far because what a mess. One has a float pillar broken and JB Welded together, the other had a mangled drain screw that actually broke my extractor. All of the floats were set to around 13mm instead of 17+/- The main plunger needles are marked Y-262 no idea where those even came from unless that is normal but aren't they supposed to be Y-10 or some such? Taking my time trying to be sure its all correct, but geez. Super looking forward to the other two.....

16. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

Started to disassemble the SecaRat.
    Wow.. never had to cut so many tiewraps o_O

17. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Yesterday, reassembled the cleaned and rebuilt brake calipers, remounted and added the new brake lines. Maybe later today I'll start on the master cylinder.

18. SecaMaverick

SecaMaverick Active Member

Replaced the main O-ring on the spin-on oil filter conversion kit I got from Len several years back, after it started leaking. Of course Len had the O-ring.
    Finished setting float/fuel levels after last year's carb rebuild. I thought I had them close, but they weren't.
    Balanced the carbs with the Carbtune and the YICS tool, and adjusted mixture with the Colortune plug. Bought most of that years ago from Len, and haven't regretted it.
    Now they're spot-on, and the bike starts instantly at the push of the button.
    The only remaining issue I'm having is it wants to idle high when hot. I know that's typically an intake leak somewhere (intake boots, vacuum caps, throttle shaft seals, etc.) but I've exorcised all those demons in recent years.
    Oddly, when I filled up with fresh gas yesterday -- and it was a 20-degree warmer day than the day before -- the idle didn't remain as high on my drive home.

19. XJ550H

check your clamps.
    when hot set idle see if the issue goes away.

cold air is denser . more o2 content and expands more when burned

20. Andy Dobkins

Andy Dobkins Member

Found a NOS air filter for my 85 xj700n been looking for about two years didnt want to pay 60 to 100 buck for one . So waited check ebay ever few day and a few other sites. Listing ebay 36.00 or make offer offered 30.00 20 mins late offer accepted bought right there .Been cleaning the old one date on it 6/22/ 1991. so 20 year old filter. Didnt want to go to K&N filter or pods and have to maybe change jets.