1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How to get the spring on the center stand?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Tony222, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Tony222

Tony222 Member

Hello all, I just got a centre stand for my 82 xj550 Maxim and I am struggling with putting the spring on. Whats the trick? Do you put the spring on before you attach the stand or after? Thanks as always for the help. Also I bought another 82 XJ550 because I loved working so much on the first one that I have....lol

2. 50gary

50gary Active Member

Tool companies (emgo, or motion pro) for motorcycle tools make spring pullers fairly cheap. T-handle with a small hook on the end.
    Cheers, 50gary

3. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Hard to explain this trick, but put the end of a screw driver on the “pin” on the stand and hook the spring onto the screwdriver shaft. Pivot it down and away and the spring will slide down the screwdriver and onto the pin on the center stand. Easy to do but you use the screwdriver for leverage to stretch the spring out.

4. jayrodoh

Kinda like this:

hogfiddles likes this.
  5. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

What I do is when the spring is fully stretched, put coins in the gaps. When you flip the stand up, the spring is kept at an extended length and makes it easy to come off.
    Reverse is the reverse, etc.

hogfiddles likes this.
  6. Tony222

Tony222 Member

You guys are all geniuseseses. The screw driver one sounds easy but your on your back and ? I am trying the coin one first or maybe nails. All good ideas though. Any more?

7. Brent NZ

Brent NZ Active Member

I fitted a center stand on my VMax the other day, that bike's got a very stiff spring. Completely detach the stand & hook the spring onto the frame. Get the stand roughly in the retracted (horizontal) position & hook the other end of the spring onto the stand. Next pull the stand back and put the bolts in. It's a lot easier with two people, one sitting behind the back wheel pulling the stand & the other putting the bolts in.

8. Tony222

Tony222 Member

I think me and the wife tried that one but we could not get the holes lined up right to put the bolts in.

9. Brent NZ

Brent NZ Active Member

It probably helps that my assistant (my son) is a bodybuilder

10. Toyobaru866

Toyobaru866 Active Member

Or maybe his wife should try to put the bolts in ;-)

11. Tony222

Tony222 Member

Yeah that would have helped Brent but no body builders here. Its just a stupid angle to be using a lot of force at. I saw one video where the guy used a small ratchet strap secured by his rear tire to do the pulling which was smart. I have to finish putting the centre stand on and then I can take the back tire off and have a look at the rear brake as it is making some funny noise. Clean it out and make sure there is some brake pad there and put it back together and then go for a test ride:)

12. Toyobaru866

Toyobaru866 Active Member

Be careful with the brake pads. If they are ok but old then replace them. Old ones can delaminate, not worth the risk for the cost of new ones

13. Tony222

Tony222 Member

Ok so first for the spring. I tried 3 different ways and only one worked. First I tried washers in the spring but it would not get as far as I needed it and when I tried stretchy it just that little bit the washers fell out and that way was done. The second way was to put a ratchet strap on the back tire and pull the spring to lock it on but I could never get the ratchet and spring lined up in the right spot so after 2 tries I passed on that one. The winner is....the screwdriver around the spring end and put the end on where you want the spring to go and BAM...its in. Took like a second and I was like "What the hell" why didn't I try that way first but it works perfectly. Thanks Jayroodoh!!! As far as the brakes and all the other stuff the brakes were like new but everything was very dirty and dusty. I cleaned everything up and put it all back together and its all good. The biggest problem was I marked where the brake tension arm thingy was before I took it off to make it easier when I was putting it back on but when I was in cleaning mode I cleaned that mark right off so with a few tries I got it positioned and now have a back brake again. Going for a test drive now. Thanks all for your help:)

jayrodoh and Dave in Ireland like this.
  14. jayrodoh

I've definitely spent a few years yanking on springs with vice grips, someone showed me that trick and it was life changing. LOL. You're not alone, that's why we have these forums. I've had bikes for 18 years before I joined here and I'm still learning new stuff!