1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

18in rim on a yx600 front triple

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Hell Raiser, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Hell Raiser

Hell Raiser New Member

I am curious as to if the 18in rims from a FJ600 will fit properly on the yx600 radian front triple tree and forks I've picked up?

I know the overall lost between front tires from the xj550j and the radian 600 is a total of 3 inches, but that seems like it's going to affect the overall handling of the bike.

2. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

The parts you've collected will all bolt together.
    You will have to mount a front fender with your own creativity though.

this website has a calculator which will give you an approximation of your given tire size's diameter

https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/tirediamcalc.html

according to this your 18" conversion lowers the front end accordingly:

front
    OEM 100/90-19" diameter = 26.09"
    now 90/90-18" diameter =24.38"
    lowered by 0.855"
    I assumed OEM tire sizes for your rims, if you go to a 100 width the difference will be even less. You can play with the formula with different tires.

From my experience (FZ600 forks and wheel on 650 Seca & Seca Turbo) the Radian/FZ600 forks are essentially the same length as the 650 Seca, therefore this tire calculation is all that I had to consider when determining the ride height at the front. Of course stiffer springs have affect also.

In your case, I think we're talking about a 550 Maxim? You've changed the fork crowns so you might need to verify if you've changed the fork geometry as well you need to compare the fork length between the 550 Maxim and the Radian. You're also going from axle in-front of fork to axle in-line with fork, maybe the fork crowns are different to negate this, you'll need to compare.

3. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

You're right, changing the attitude of the chassis, lowering the front or raising the rear will quicken the handling.
    I routinely change my KTM from dirt trim to supermoto, 21/18 to 17/17 and that is a huge attitude adjustment.
    The quicker inputs put new stresses on the frame, and combined with sticky radials today is why we see the big box-section aluminum frames on sportbikes.
    I don't expect you're going racing with your Maxim so as long as its stable you won't be cracking your frame.

In the other direction I had a GSF1250 Suzuki which had lowering links and rode it home like that. I immediately put the stock linkage back.
    It felt like a chopper and flopped into corners, I couldn't believe someone would ride it like that without lowering the front equally.

4. Hell Raiser

Hell Raiser New Member

@Simmy thank you for the insight, it's much appreciated. I've got the complete triple tree, stem, and forks.

Your calculations are spot on, and that webpage has been saved to my phone now we'll. Great resource to have.

And yes that's correct, it's a Maxim.

I've found myself trying to decide on either 16" rims ( from a radian ) or 18" rims ( xj600, or fj1100 ) they both have the similar rim design, the 18"s have rear disk, which I am kinda more so leaning towards,

So I guess what I am getting at is, what is the better of the 2 sizes?

And I've figured since I've got the front triple tree and forks, and gonna be changing the rims, I've also decided to convert the rear to mono shock using an fj600 rear swingarm.

( Sorry btw if my response is kinda all over the place, I've got no clue how to quote sections of your responses on my phone )

5. 50gary

50gary Active Member

I would opt for the 18" as you can now get Radial ply tires in 18" Light years ahead of bias tires.
    Cheers, 50gary

6. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

FJ1100 has 16" wheels BTW.

those 18" FJ600 rims are really skinny, typically radials need a wider rim unless there are new radials made especially for skinny rims I'm not aware of?
    OEM tires were 90/90-18 and 110/90-18 for the FJ600.
    I think the 110/90-16 and 130/90-16 of the Radian would be a better choice since Yamaha did the same converting the 550 Maxim to the 600 Radian.
    If you're building a mono-shock special then why not convert it to wide rim 17's?
    Hmmm, mono shocking the Maxim, why not just get the entire FJ600 frame?

7. Hell Raiser

Hell Raiser New Member

*hey I think figured out how to set the quotes *

I was looking at a mislabeled set of rims on eBay, good to know they are 16"s.

Ok, that's good info to know while I am trying to decide on rim set. Wider tires would be nice, I am currently running a 130/90/16 on the rear swirly on my Maxim, so the radians rim setup seems to be where I am leaning.

17" rims,.... Now there's an idea... Hmm, I'd need to figure out bike model, spacing sizes, axle specs or bearing specs ( or both lol ) . I think I am going to do a bit of digging on this.

I've thought about swapping frames, but then it's no longer the same bike. Plus after some researching and comparing, it seems the xj600 rearswing arm might be a better candidate for my 550 Maxim, and I've already got the front triple tree and forks, both front rotors and calipers, ( new B.S.S. ) lines, front brake lever assembly, and one of the conversion kits from all balls racing .

8. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I think even if you found an FJ600 frame and grafted just the rear section onto your Maxim you would have the Yamaha engineered monoshock geometry and progressive linkage.
    This would save a lot of work. You could fit all the FJ600 airbox in place saving all the headaches of getting pods to work.

9. 50gary

50gary Active Member

Continental makes the radials specifically for vintage applications. I'd trust their engineering.
    Cheers, 50gary

10. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  11. Hell Raiser

Hell Raiser New Member

Well, bugger.... Looks like I've got some homework to do. Let's see where this rabbit hole takes me

12. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

I used an 85 VMax 18" rim on my Maxim X, that dropped the original tire size down from a 19":
    upload_2021-4-28_21-21-19.jpeg
    Needless to say it was a huge undertaking as I incorporated all the FJR1300 fork swap mods at the same time, but was well worth it.
    Be forewarned: once you decided to do a serious mod like that, you'll need to be prepared to clear a lot of hurdles, including the time & expense.

Tony

Hell Raiser likes this.
  13. xHondaHack

I wonder if FZR600 17" rims would be an option?

Tony

Hell Raiser likes this.
  14. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

FZR600 had 17” front and an oddball 18” on the rear.
    I had one for track only, very limited tire selection.
    Your front end conversion on that X looks trick.

Hell Raiser likes this.
  15. xHondaHack

Thanks for the compliment.

I did see specs showing an 18" rear, but some noted a 130/70 17"? (must have been incorrect).
    Don't know if the 17" FZR1000 rear wheel would work with fitting the swingarm? Axle size and rim width would be a challenge.

The FZR1000 17's do work, but not without major mods like the FZX (Fazer700) build I'm finishing up:
    upload_2021-4-28_22-24-9.jpeg

Has a 2005 R6 front end with a XJR1300 swingarm, which required lots of fabrication and machining.
    BTW, with all that goes into these projects I've done over the years, I figure this will be the last one I do.

Hell Raiser likes this.
  16. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Now we're talkin! Tony how about a build thread for this in "other bikes".
    I'm interested to see the mods you've done. These FZX's cause me to twitch whenever I peruse the classifieds.
    There was one for sale recently with 17's like yours and FZR1000 transplant, all finished.

Hell Raiser likes this.
  17. 50gary

50gary Active Member

Yes, the FZR 600 is a good place to start, 41mm forks and reasonable priced. The modern R1 and R6 (gold and blue dot) calipers also are a bolt up.
    The FRZ is still a damper rod fork, not the modern cartridge type. However with emulators they work well.
    Cheeers, 50gary

Hell Raiser likes this.
  18. xHondaHack

Been on this forum for about 10 years, maybe someday I should get started on that.....
    Got a 911cc build planned for next winter. For now just sorting it out with a spare 700cc engine to get it licensed and road worthy.

Hell Raiser: Hope we gave you a few ideas that could be done, and open to answering any other questions.

Tony

Hell Raiser likes this.
  19. Hell Raiser

Hell Raiser New Member

@xHondaHack yes yall have given me several ideas. Thank you.

Beautiful bike btw!

All true, and was taken to heart, so my original plan was 18" rims, but tonight in my search for a set of either 17", or 18" that looked right I came across a matching set of radian rims for a smokin deal. But they are 16" though.... The rims would technically match the front triple and forks I have. Screenshot_20210430-031944-609.png