1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New 83' xj550

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Atlas8188, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Atlas8188

Atlas8188 New Member

I just bought 1983 xj550 the previous owner started to make it a Cafe racer. Amd started the chop but now that I own it I would like to make it a bobber. I k on I have a mission ahead of me but my question is can I turn the softball into a rigid frame or hardtail bobber. Or am I best to keep it as a is.

2. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

As long as it's a Maxim you can do what you like.;)

Franz likes this.
  3. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    As stated above. But you are not going to get much encouragement on this forum for the bobber style mods and nobody is going to tell you a hardtail is a good idea over any sort of suspension. Lots of modified bikes here but most are long term projects with lots of research and hard detail work put into them. You will get lots of encouragement to make SAFE mods to your bike. Good luck with your project.
    John

4. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I think if you have to ask this question, then you probably can't. Metal fab and welding skills are needed, and should be good if you're gonna blast down the road at 60+MPH on something you fabbed.

At the end of the day it's your bike and you can do whatever you like. Got any pics to share to see what state it's in as purchased?

5. Atlas8188

Atlas8188 New Member

I do have a good friend and his welder at my side but am skeptical about the process he has more hope in the project than I but I was looking at some softtail bobber style I know everyone's thoughts about that its not a true bobber but I like the chopped idea. Amd seen alot of good ideas ill upload shortly.

6. Atlas8188

Atlas8188 New Member

I have a full engine rebuild sitting on the deck

Attached Files:

7. Atlas8188

Atlas8188 New Member

I bought the works for 500$ so I'd say thats a pretty good considering the state. The p.o. had started the Cafe racer chop on the seat and thats it. So I'm gonna clean it up and rebuild it. But wanted to go to rigid frame. But feel that I might have a journey ahead of myself or I should just keep the softtail and style to.bobber.

8. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Oof yeah you have a lot of work ahead of you. You can always replace your shocks with a piece of metal bolted in to see if you like the hardtail ride. They look cool but it's hard on the body if you actually ride more than just hopping around town.

Atlas8188 likes this.
  9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member