1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My Johnny Cash bike ( one piece at a time)

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jetfixer, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Decided to do the deed , when I did carbs last time used double #11 O rings seemed to work okay , But went and ordered the correct butterfly seals from xj4ever, took carbs to church ...had them on and off three or four times ...reving to 5k ...found the butterfly plate on number one was not quite set right , then found one of the brackets for the synch screw was bent down , idle knob was not touching ...it was little things i should have checked did a bench synch , still need to do a running synch but it idles at 1200 rpm , hooked up the airbox running out of time so will try to work on it this week .

Huntchuks likes this.
  2. Jetfixer

Got sometime went to synch carbs , and starter gave up the ghost, of course for a change had another starter in cabinet :D . Finally got carbs spot on ....and it still is not running quite right , it still feels like it is only running on three cylinders , open throttle and it picks up ...the only thing the coils are new CB 750 and plug wires were changed last night, plugs are new and gapped, carbs went to church all seals replaced , new airbox boots ,new airfilter . The only thing I have not done is check valve clearance or the "new" old exhaust system is partially plugged ...I'm tempted to swap exhaust system off my yellow Seca ...but it runs sooo good I really don't want to touch it .

3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Perhaps the inlet valve on the cold cylinder is not opening enough?

4. Jetfixer

Update ,did a compression check clod number one and two are 150psi and three and four 140psi with throttle wide open felt good that I have good compression. Broke out my colortune plug ( sorry to our Brit friends colourtune) while plugs were out one and two plugs were white...very lean three and four were dark grey ...when I put new CB750 coils on I did not like the plug caps so I had some other caps left over from another bike and used these ...think that is part of my issue ,changed out all four and I think it may have helped ...my such is even on the Morgan four motion and have a nice blue flame ...BUT now it is raining out and with no plates or insurance on bike yet not a good idea to ride yet ...so only rode it to corner and back .

5. Jetfixer

I give up :mad: idles fine , with partial choke runs fine , crank throttle wide open takes off , barely open throttle from stop it sputters, stutters with choke off . The carbs have been soaked twice , rack broke all new seals , full synched ....my next thing to check is the mufflers ,if I can get them off there is a slight rattle at 2500 rpm .

6. Jetfixer

I'm fuming , went and got insurance on bike 13$ a month , that is taken care of. Went to my favorite BMV ...oh joy waited 25 minutes only to be told even though I have title , I have to have the seller fill out a BILL OF SALE I bought it at a swap meet last October...have no way that I can contact seller short of trying to mail a form to him.. otherwise lady said I would have to file for a lost title....I HAVE THE MICHIGAN TITLE. But that is Indiana for you. I still have to have a police officer verify VIN. Oh I'm sure that will be fun.

7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I feel for you, kinda in the same thing for one of my bikes. So the Michigan title is signed? If so I am really confused as that is normally the bill of sale when signed. Maybe you can find your states statue that states that and sow the DMV person? I know that might be asking for trouble bu if it is written in your states statue they have to follow it.

8. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

We Canadians are freakin sheep! I couldn't insure a skate board up here for that.

9. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

You're barking up the wrong tree re those mufflers - if it revs to 4K with some extra fuel you have idle jet issues or float level issues. Did you check the progression holes "squirted" fuel when you stripped them? Are they the right idle jets?
    Lastly - did you check the holes in the bottom, and springs above the vacuum pistons - just in case someone has been in there?

10. tj.

tj. Active Member

I had an issue with the registration on the XJ. The title had 16 digits but the frame has 17. It was missing a "1" in the sequence. I had to get a dealer to confirm the title document was incorrect and issued me a letter showing the correct VIN. I took the letter in to have the correction made and the lady told me that I had to have 2 letters from different dealers...

On another occasion, I was told that I couldn't have the ownership changed until I had an appraisal done...

In both cases I asked for a reference, something in writing where I could find this information. Turns out I didn't need 2 letters nor in the other case did I need an appraisal.

Jetfixer likes this.
  11. Jetfixer

BMV makes things way to complicated , I think they enjoy doing this .

tj. likes this.
  12. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

Not a problem unique to US either.
    I have a local vehicle registration and taxation office that makes up the rules as they go along.
    Absolute shower of asshales.

Jetfixer likes this.
  13. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

So both of us might need to look into this web page and do this for our bikes. I hear it is the same cost for their title.
    https://dmv.vermont.gov/registrations
    There might be a step by step how to on the forum too, I have not done a search yet.

14. Minimutly

Yeah,they seem to get a kick out of it - sort of a power thing?

15. Jetfixer

I bought another set of carbs , took them to church, these are back up carbs . The set installed on the bike runs well and synched , idles good . Took it out to road behind my edition took it up to 55 ran well, pulled up to 6k I think I may have worked out carb issue

16. Minimutly

Pray tell us?

17. Jetfixer

I am so frustrated my carbs are pzhofrinc got them synched with my Morgan pro rode around block felt okay shut off , started next day would run right columns were totally off ....rode around block and idle was hanging , tweaked synch screws and it was better. Got tired so swapped in my backup carbs could not get idle below 4k ....knew this was a vacuum leak . Had a meeting to go to , came home and decided I would look closer at the backup carbs ...found several issues when I rebuilt these the return spring on number one carb was not on bracket right , number two carb the outboard side the nylon spacer was cracked. Number three carb I had an extra nylon washer , so if I tightened nut the carb body would hang up , number four the return spring was not seated correctly keeping the shaft from seating all the way. Did a bench synch , the carbs snap much better. I have rebuilt several carbs but since these were back up set I feel pretty dumb for not checking .:oops: well it is late and I doubt my neighbors would appreciate my running at 1130 pm going to swap out in morning...I will see .

18. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

If you had a spare set of carbs that would tell you the story. Sometimes carbs are just weird and they don't work for some reason. We miss something we normally don't or maybe even a factory issue when they were molded.

19. Toyobaru866

Toyobaru866 Active Member

After rebuilding my carbs last week I was convinced that I put them back together spot on. After sitting on the couch for an evening examining the carbs every now and then I also discovered 2 dumb return spring issues. You tend to overlook things when you intensely busy with something...

20. Jetfixer

My spare set of carbs , I tried using two number 11 buna O rings ....no luck at some point I will order the correct seals from Chacal. So the set I've been having problems with , been to church , and new butterfly seals from Chacal looked at this set and SHAZAM same thing number one return spring was on wrong side of arm , and number three had a extra nylon seal ...this answered why i could not fully tighten nut without binding . Nothing like breaking the rack a second time:oops:. Well I'm a total genius was trying to get spare set dialed in , could not get a consistent idle , gave up went in to eat lunch and came back out...I had left ignition on :confused: 8 volts . While I charged battery , put original set of carbs on and ...it ran like it should only had to tweak number three and number one . Hooked back up airbox and letting it cool down will see if it runs right from cold . This has been a real hoot , still got to plate it and start some cosmetic items .

Franz and tj. like this.