1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

85 xj700 air cooled

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jstrace5150, Apr 27, 2021.

1. Jstrace5150

Jstrace5150 New Member

So I bought this bike for....too much and thought I got a great deal. It's a 85 xj700 air cooled. It ran fine for a couple days, the all of a sudden died goin down the road but fired up after about ten minutes and ran fine going back home. Next morning I went to start it and got nothing but a little crank. So rebuilt starter now it cranks and cranks but will not start. It's getting juice to the plugs"I think" but maybe weak. Also am definitely getting fuel to carbs as they were recently rebuilt. Could I have a bad coil, stuck valve, or some or hidden problem? Any help would be appreciated.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Make sure that the sidestand switch isn't stuck.
    That's a common reason for the condition you have, but there can be other causes.

Then start looking over the whole bike to make sure that there aren't other issues.
    Read This First
    That thread is a good place to start learning about your machine.

3. Jstrace5150

Jstrace5150 New Member

Will do but would it still crank if the switch was stuck? Just wondering I haven't seen any other obvious causes as to why it's not firing off. Other than when I pull the plug first plug off clutch side of bike and try to crank it sounds funny. Almost as if something is off with the air

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Member

Have you checked the battery for voltage? Charging system? A battery can have enough juice to crank the motor but not enough to fire it up. You say it's getting gas but only because the carbs were recently rebuilt. You need to check the fuel petcock and make sure that gas flows from there. Is there a fuel filter in line below petcock? Do you have a clear fuel line so you can see the gas flowing? Have you tried switching the petcock to reserve? I'm assuming the petcock is vacuum activated but not sure on your model. So you need to make sure you have no vacuum leaks or disconnected line. So, two things you need to make sure of before you go any further...that you are getting good spark (proper voltage from battery) and gas is actually getting to carbs.

5. JCH

JCH Active Member

If you have spark at the plugs I don't think it's the kick stand switch, check your fuel bowl levels for volume of fuel or remove your air filter and spray some starting fluid into the carburetors, check your battery connections for tightness.

6. Jstrace5150

Jstrace5150 New Member

Ive tried with starting fluid and get no change is why I'm think it's not a fuel issue as well as clear lines going to carbs which I can see have fuel. As far as battery goes I've tried it with two different batteries as well as tried jump starting it with no change.

7. JCH

JCH Active Member

what do mean you think you have spark ? pull plugs 1 and 2 or 3 and 4 and and crank over with a blanket over your head or in a dark place and check for spark...

8. Jstrace5150

Jstrace5150 New Member

I mean they all have spark that I can see just don't know if it's strong enough what voltage should my battery read?

9. JCH

JCH Active Member

Sounds like you may have a electrical issue that may be a bit difficult to pin down, do a solid research on past post.

10. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

If there is a spark it will fire, the compressed fuel air mixture just can't help it self.
    I would check your fuel system.

First switch to prime on your fuel tab, maybe take the hose off to make sure fuel is actually flowing.
    Then wait... for a minute for the the bowls to fill up.

If still nothing, pull the plugs.
    If they are wet then you have fuel if not... the question is do you have compression? Do you have a blocked air filter?

You see the reasoning.

If they aren't wet... maybe a fuel filter issue?

Electrical issues pretty much mean no spark or shite spark at speed or temperature if the coils are funky, but if you have a spark then we are close to burning the fuel (if there is any getting there)

11. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

10 volts or more when cranking

12. Jstrace5150

Jstrace5150 New Member

13. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

I had a similar problem with my 700 and it turned out that it needed the alternator brushes replaced. Like XJ550H said, check the voltage while cranking. If you are able to get it running check the voltage at idle and at about 3000 rpm. In my case I was only getting about 12.8 volts at 3000 rpm. My output was so low at idle that sometimes hitting the brakes would cause it to shut down.

14. Jstrace5150

Jstrace5150 New Member

Will do gonna have my girl crank while I check with the multimeter in the morning.

15. Jstrace5150

Jstrace5150 New Member

Update... Put some fresh gas in and had it on the trickle and cranked a couple times and am now getting an occasional backfire but not often and it's not loud. Just a little puff of air now and then while cranking.

16. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

You are sure you have the right coils going to the right cylinders? Not that I have ever done that...lol

17. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

I've done that! Definitely hard to get it started.

18. Jstrace5150

Jstrace5150 New Member

Lol of course I only take my plug wires off one at a time

19. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

Good point, I actually reversed the wires coming from TCI to the coils after a rebuild and it cranked and cranked and popped and eventually kinda started and died. Does make you wonder if you just have an underlying TCI issue too... So many options!

20. Jstrace5150

Jstrace5150 New Member

That's were im at there is so many different things it could be, however I got ahold of the p.o and they own a shop and offered to look at it for me so what's the worst that can happen right?