1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

2000 VS1400

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Timbox, May 5, 2021.

1. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Been looking for a good looking older V twin on marketplace for some time. One popped up and I had to make the almost three hr trip to get her. I am looking forward to going through this bike and see what is up.
    [​IMG]200 vs1400 by Tim Brown, on Flickr

I have a group of friends that all ride HD's. They are a great bunch of people and we get a long well. We razz each other over the metric and the HD thing. I just can't see spending $$ for a older sporster when you can pick on of these up for under $1k.

Need to go through her now and get some new shoes on her. This is my second or third one of these and this one will stay in the stable.

2. tj.

tj. Active Member

Cool lookin bike, nice colour scheme. Torquey no doubt. 5 or 6 speed? FI?

I have buddys on Harleys that razz me as well. Can't afford one they say...I reply that I can't afford the tools...or the belt buckles...or the boots...or the garage stools...etc etc.

Timbox likes this.
  3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

What's up is a solid engine that makes torque.
    She's a smexy beast.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

A friend of mine likes to tell the tale of a wekend trip at a campground where they traded the use of their tools (riding a Honda Gold Wing) to the HD riders in exchange for beer. :)

tj. likes this.
  5. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

I'd been looking for a v-twin for a while too. Always wanted one of these when i was a despatch rider in London but settled on a Honda VT500. This came along on ebay and i won the auction. It couldn't really pull the skin off a rice pudding but it's nice to poodle about on. It's got the silencer on the left, Dutch affair, but i've got a twin set up arriving this week.
    [​IMG]WP_20210502_16_29_04_Pro_LI by Billy Bananahead, on Flickr

6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Nice clean bike, it will be slow compared to your Yamaha fours.

7. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    I had a VX800 for awhile. I loved the look and the shaft drive of them. The 1 I got relatively cheaply was way past it's sell by date. I did make it run but not well, it was rusted and tired. They have the oddest carb to carb secondary cable set up. I got frustrated and traded it off and ended up with an XJ900 that was much better. I still like the look and concept of the VX though.

8. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

Tell me about it. It had me foxed for a couple of days but once i realized how to set it up and sync it was alright. The previous owner didn't really know what he was doing but kept it looking nice-ish.

9. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I know the VS1400 has the "Y" throttle too. Two carbs and they are both different size. I have the shop manual on order and in the mean time will go through the bike. The batter box is under the bike and the lid is bent. I will have to get the bike on the table and jack up the rear to remove the box and make it operational.

This 1400 is a 5 speed, I wanted to make sure I got the 5 speed version as I had a 4 speed some time ago and was not happy with it.

The 800 above looks nice but I love pulling my arms out of their sockets, so have to have a lot of torque with my bikes.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  10. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Got to put in a few hrs on the 1400 today. Just tried to start it and no such luck. Pulled the bottom carb and yep needed it, all green and non of the jets were open. I removed the bottom carb from the bike and cleaned it on the table. I did the top carb with the carb still connected to the throttle cable. I just pulled it out of the boot, rotated it and did the work in place. The top carb was not bad at all. The bets were plugged a little but not too bad.

Reason I left the top carb linked to the throttle, just so I would not have to mess with trying to sync it that way. I am sure I will have to do some type of sync on it but I didn't want to play with the throttle linkage.

Bike turns over well, had good compression and has spark. I drained the gas tank and will be adding some inline filters before I put gas back in and try to fire her up.

The old gal really needs new tires front and back, but that will have to wait until after I get her up and running.

11. tj.

tj. Active Member

With a 4 speed you would always be looking for 5th...I suppose that could be said for 5 speeds as well tho.:D

12. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

It all depends on the kind of driving you are doing. With my Bandit 1250 she has 6 gears, I am used to that. When I jump on my Valkyrie it only has 5 and I am glad that when I hit 5th gear the shifter movers freely up and you know you are in high gear. I am not too sure how it will work with the VS1400? Will have to see.

From what I have read the VS1400 is not a bike for high speeds, I think it will not run much more that 100 + mph. With that large engine I am hoping it will get to that speed very fast, I love toque more than I like high speeds. Many little things to do to this bike before she is on the road. Need to order tires, tubes, spoke strip. The air boxes have been removed and K&N filters are on the bike. Cleaned the filters yesterday, they were filthy. All the electronic hardware under the seat needs to be secured to something. With the air box removed there is nothing to keep them in place. Some type of foundation will need to be fabricated to anchor the brain box, starter solenoid and all the other items are in float mode. They need to be anchored to something.

13. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Did a little work on her over the last two days.
    [​IMG]DSCN0001 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSCN0002 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    This is the mess when the PO removed the air box. I will have to fix this up and mount some type of splash guard between rear fender and compartment.
    [​IMG]DSCN0003 by Tim Brown, on Flickr[/IMG] DSCN0002[/URL] by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    This is the the location of the battery. The battery box was so out of wack from PO not having the bottom in correctly.
    [​IMG]DSCN0005 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    This is after it was reshaped. I think the drop door had come open and then got jammed up on something. Bent the heck out of it.
    [​IMG]DSCN0004 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    After the fix and a little paint. Rear tire is off the cycle shop for a new one. Will have to do the same to the front once I get the back on. She cleaned up okay more work to do.
    [​IMG]DSCN0007 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSCN0006 by Tim Brown, on Flickr

14. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

[​IMG]DSCN0003 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    This is the air box area.....that will be fun to clean up. Nice gap between rear fender and this area.

15. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

New rear tire is on, now front one is getting changed. I have made a rubber backing that fits over the rear fender that will block nature from getting into the last pic above. New 6 puck 2001 ZX600 caliper came in the mail. Seems to be a really nice fit. Looking forward to getting it mounted and the fluids flushed and bled. Turn lights are on order I will post pics of the trouble shooting with one of them later. Planting at the marsh tomorrow so no bike work for a day or so. Need that front time on to make me feel comfortable even to work on the bike.

16. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Brakes are on the bike, front and back OEM. I got the offset hole adapter in the mail today to change out the front caliper. That will be a nice mod that will help with safety. Bike gets fuel tomorrow and I hope to get it started. I still need one replacement turn bulb but I think I can manage hand signals for a while. This bike is really low, spaces the battery holder going up and down the Harbor Freight table I have. The weather here in Wisconsin is just starting to get to nice riding temps.

17. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Filled it up with gas today and tried to start her. Well the fuel pump was running like a rabbit, so I knew no fuel was flowing. I messed around with the petcock under the tank and finally saw fuel run into the filter. After a few tries she runs! She is loud...took her out for a 8 mile loop and it will be a good bike. Loud but nice power as well. I thin it only gets about 100 miles before you have to go on reserve...but that is okay. Getting used to forward controls....that will take some time. Plate is in the mail but have all the other paper work in pocket.

I would recommend one if you can find for a good price. I still have to do the front brake mod.

Uxbridge Brule and tj. like this.
  18. Uxbridge Brule

Uxbridge Brule Active Member

I have an 07 S83 I'm doing the front brake mod soon just have to measure and order ss line and banjo fittings. I love the bike but found out the hard way last fall that the pegs don't touch down first there is a metal bracket that runs under the bike that holds the stock pegs that hits first. It didn't come into play during regular turns but I tried to take a turn onto a side street a little too aggressive and down I went. Have a look you have the forward controls but the chrome bracket might still be there. Other than that love the bike I get 190km(118 miles) to a tank before reserve. IMG_4073.jpg

19. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Is this like a HD where the bits don't keep falling off?

20. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Yes is you ever thought of getting a HD sporter but love the metric bikes, this is the bike. Besides the interesting but easy to access carburetor designs and throttle linkage, love this bike. If you follow my projects I don't hand on to bikes to often. I buy them low work on them for fun and then they find a new owner normally the same yr. Not this one, it really is a nice Vtwin style bike.

Low seat can be a plus but as stated above, this bike is low. My bike has extended front sets and I did catch my heal on the ground the other day at speed in a corner. The rake of this bike does make is feel like a HD when you are driving slow, but once you are at speed it is very smooth running bike.

Looking for a gas tank option if you plan on taking this bike on long trips. The gas tank is just like some HD tanks that are split down the middle. The front cylinder air cleaner is tucked away under the gas tank and the tank has a tunnel down the middle of it that provides room for that air filter.