1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Intake Boots

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Danath256, May 7, 2021.

1. Danath256

Danath256 New Member

I tried searching and couldn't find anything.

I'm finally at the point of reinstalling the carb bank and both sets of boots on both the intake side and the airbox side.

I didn't realize when I took the old boots off the intake side that they all have a slight bend to the inside (or maybe outside)

Can anyone tell me which boots go where? I know the little air nipples go up and the hose for the petcock connects to carb 3, but besides that, I'm lost.

Thank you!

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

If I am understanding your post, there should be to straight ones and two that have slight bends. The straight ones go on 2 & 3, the bent ones go on 1 & 4. The air box side has a little nipple on the air box side. This helps to position the boot in the correct orientation to the air box and the carb. The boots should have a little key that when in the correct orientation will fit into that nipple in the air box. I hope that helps.

Danath256 likes this.
  3. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

What bike? There are some different layouts but are usually two left and two right intakes.

4. Danath256

Danath256 New Member

Oh, wow.. I can't believe I forgot to include that...:confused:
    It's a 1980 XJ650

5. jayrodoh

I figured based on your other posts but wouldn't be the first time someone asked about a totally different bike.

On that bike the vacuum nipples go up, the two left intakes should angle right in towards the center when looking from the top, and the two right intakes should angle left into the center.

Danath256 likes this.
  6. Danath256

Danath256 New Member

Thank you very much!!

7. Danath256

Danath256 New Member

I guess two last things.
    Would anyone recommend anti-seize on those cap head bolts, and what should I torque the bolts to? (I think I read 14 ft/lb)

If I end up with another snapped bolt... that's not gonna be a good time!

8. jayrodoh

7.5 lbs and yes to anti seize!

Danath256 likes this.
  9. Danath256

Danath256 New Member

Thank you!

Hopefully I'll have this thing running soon! (Guess we will see how well I can rebuild carbs)

10. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

And to further clarify, if you need to order any new ones——
    —-
    NOTE: the non-YICS (1980-81 XJ650 Maxim/Midnight Maxim and 1982 XJ650RJ Seca) left side (cylinders #1 and #2) manifolds differ from the YICS (1982-84) manifolds in the orientation of their mounting:

* non-YICS engines have the intake manifold mounting bolt holes in the cylinder head aligned in this manner:

<#1 \ \ \ \ #4>

* YICS engines have the intake manifold mounting bolt holes in the cylinder head aligned in this manner:

<#1 / / \ \ #4>

This is why the left side (cylinders #1 and #2) intakes differ between the YICS and non-YICS engines, and why they are the same for the right side (cylinders #3 and #4) on all XJ650 non-Turbo engines!

1980-81 XJ650 Maxim and Midnight Maxim, and 1982 XJ650RJ Seca with non-yics engines:

* non-YICS engines have the intake manifold mounting bolt holes in the cylinder head aligned in this manner:

<#1 \ \ \ \ #4>

——

Danath256 likes this.
  11. Danath256

Danath256 New Member

I ordered the non yics one so #1 \ \ \ \ #4 and they look like the original ones, but I hadn't realized that the boots weren't straight until I went to put them on yesterday and I was like "Oh no, this thing will never run again"

but I think I should be good now, if I understand correctly all 4 of the boots should slightly angle towards the center of the engine.

12. jayrodoh

You got it. The patterns Dave was referring to are the angle of the bolt pattern on the motor when looked at vertically. You ordered the right ones for your bike.

Danath256 likes this.
  13. Danath256

Danath256 New Member

Thanks, everyone! I got the carbs installed on the intake boots with the ratchet strap trick!

I'm not sure if the boots on the intake side of the carbs shrunk or something else is going on, but they don't seem long enough.

14. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

They tend to shrink a bit —-
    To help:
    1. Warm them with a hair dryer or heat gun
    2. DO NOT lubricate the airbox to carb boots. The friction helps you keep them tight.
    3. Remember you pulled the airbox back. Now you need to shove it as far forward as possible to re-attach the boots.