1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Maxim X

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cory Ciarrocchi, May 7, 2021.

1. Cory Ciarrocchi

Cory Ciarrocchi New Member

I'm creating this post to get some advice and/or info from other fellow members. The Maxim X was only made from 84 to 85, with that being said are parts hard to get and expensive? If someone found one would it be worth buying if it wasn't a huge project? I was thinking of trying to find one and see if I could get one, but if parts are hard to find and a project is going to be a real project I don't think I want to delve into it too much! Hopefully someone can chime in and give me some good advice thanks!!!

2. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

85 and 86 actually.
    Lots of them about and parts are readily available.
    If you like them then go for it.
    The 750 I believe was only sold in Canada but they’re plentiful up here and is another source for parts.

3. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

With any bike of that vintage there are going to be easy parts and hard parts to find. If you like the bike and both the price and level of project fits you then get it. Varies from person to person, there's stuff I will work on that others wouldn't touch and there's stuff I wouldn't touch that others will. I've yet to ride an X but I hear they are a blast. @hogfiddles can clue you in on what to look for on the expensive parts. IIRC the passenger backrests and "5 valve" side covers on the sides are hard to find/pricey.

4. Max 700-X

Max 700-X Member

Simmy is right, the 'X' was produced in 1985 & 1986. They were arguably the quickest of all Maxims. Its 5-valve engine is a cool piece of history to me, even if it might mean more time and money replacing/troubleshooting. Also, the 'X' sports several unique parts.

5. Toyobaru866

Toyobaru866 Active Member

Yep 85 and 86. I've had a few over the last 20 years or so. I live in the Netherlands so not so many over here. Parts are not difficult to get though. Engine parts like pistons are hard or not to get but I ques that's the reality for most vintage bikes.
    I really love the 5 valve technology of the engine. After 7000 rpm it's a rocket. If you have the chance to get a 750 then do it. It has definitely more punch than the 700. Valve job is not easy but doable if you're organized and take your time. Carbs needs to be spot on to get everything out of the engine. Value over here is between 500 and 2000 euro.

6. Toyobaru866

Toyobaru866 Active Member

And if you decide to buy one don't be like me... When I bought my first X, inexperienced as I was, I thought that the bad compression was a result of worn pistons. So I bought oversized pistons (FZ750) and rings. Also did a complete top end job. It was fun to do and the bike ran great afterwards but it was a costly project. Probably all it needed was a valve job...

7. Cory Ciarrocchi

Cory Ciarrocchi New Member

Yeah I really like the way they look, Plus they have a little more oomph then my 650 Maxim!! I appreciate everyone that has replied and put their two cents in!! If anyone sees one locally for sale let me know please!!

8. JCH

JCH Active Member

Hello Cory
    You can always check the parts list on this site at xjforever.com to get price and availability. Looks like you already have a Maxim so you have somewhat of a understanding of what your may be getting into.

9. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

The parts supplier’s address is: info@xj4ever.com

the ‘85-‘86 xj700 and xj750 were limited to those two years. The 750 versions were not available in the USA. There are two versions of each- the airheads and the liquid-cooled. More liquid-cooled were produced than airheads. But read on.....

airheads - less popular than the MaximX because it was more mild-mannered. BUT much easier to take care of. Less were produced, so they’re more ‘rare’ although there’s many more still around. So, they outnumber the X, making the X more ‘rare’.

Liquid-cooled - The MaximX was the popular one to get as it was a good rival/alternate to the VMax. The Vmax would of course win the race but the MaximX gave it some good competition, though. More were produced than the airheads, BUT they were so performance oriented that people wrecked, trashed, crashed, blew them up, etc.... because it could rev waaay high, move FAST, liquid-cooled meant closer tolerances and therefore more power, but 5 valves instead of two per cylinder....and shim-under-bucket design meant people were much more prone to ignoring what they needed to do. So, they burned up/blew/up/etc..... Now there’s less X’s, mss as king them more ‘rare’.

either way, if you have an ‘85 or’86, you got a rare piece to hang onto and LOVE. Treat it right and it will treat you right. My daily ride is my 700, even with all the bike I have.

They all share s as list all the same parts ..... the difference being primarily the engine. The hard parts are:

the ‘5-valve’ chrome ( unobtanium)
    Correct engine guards ( near unobtanium)
    Tall backrest ((near unobtanium)
    Sport rack ( near unobtanium)
    Sport rack mounts (near unobtanium) —-( and the sport rack mounts for the low grab bar are different than for the tall backrest, and even harder to find)
    The tank emblems- tough to get the right colors, and the ‘86 oval emblem is harder to get than the ‘85 round ones.

len has a lot of the parts, and what he doesn’t have, I might.

DFox

Cory Ciarrocchi likes this.
  10. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I'll say this again until someone can show me this mythical beast.
    There is no such thing as an 85 XJ750N, they're all 700's.
    The last air-cooled 750 Maxim was produced in 1984.

Yamaha Canada continued to sell the 700 air-cooled in 87 even after the Reagan import tariff ended on 750's in the US.

11. hogfiddles

12. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I would bet it's a 700, however I'm sure there are motor swaps out there.
    Unless someone can show me a Yamaha manual I will continue to doubt the existence of this.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  13. hogfiddles

I’m not arguing or disagreeing..... just that there are other models, too, that people have said didn’t exist— then they show up. I can think of two right away......

1. 1984 xj650
    2. xj650 maxim turbo

But whatever........

14. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

The 650 Seca with 750 motor is another oddity I would have previously doubted.
    The XJ750D is another Japanese only I would have doubted.

The Maxims were made for Americans and Canadians only so a 750 air-cooled Maxim would not have been made for any other market. I occasionally see guys advertising 700’s as 750’s. So many bikes were sold as 700’s in the USA when the rest of the world still got a 750, it’s a logical assumption to make.

15. tj.

tj. Active Member

Don't know if this will help but...

I came across a service manual for an XJ750 (model codes 1FL, 1AA, 1FJ).
    In the specs portion of the manual is a reference to the XJ750N. I believe it's a misprint...the page before and after reference the XJ750XN. It's the only page in the entire document that references XJ750N.

That error is also carried over to the xjcd online manual.
    https://www.xjcd.org/book/export/html/902

Attached screenshot of XJ750N specs (pg 8-5).

Attached Files:

16. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Ya that page mentions 68 mm bore - X

17. Max 700-X

Max 700-X Member

Another part I've found that's hard to find, the factory airbox. Luckily I have one, but I occasionally keep an eye out.

Maybe someone can confirm if the airhead Maxim uses the same air box as the 'X'

18. hogfiddles

Yes and no— the Airbox is the basically the same but:
    1. the holes are slightly different sizes. Check with Len on the measurements. I know he has them as I measured both of mine for him.. I just don’t have the numbers handy right now
    2. The airhead airbox has two nubs above each hole the index the boots. The liquid cooled airbox doesn’t have those.
    Otherwise they are the same.

dfox

19. Max 700-X

Max 700-X Member

Good info hogfiddles, I knew, visually on the bike, they looked similar, but being that the air head and 'X' use different carbs, it makes sense that the holes would be a bit different.

20. hogfiddles

I’ll put them side by side in the next day or two and take a pic for you