1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Ok to Lay Bike on it's Side?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Dark-Farmer, May 12, 2021.

1. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

It's like riding a pedal bike one day you just cycle away. Centre stand is the same.

chacal likes this.
  2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

it is almost like the bike jumps by its self to get on the center stand

cgutz likes this.
  3. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I like putting it on the center stand rather than picking it up off of the road. Geez...... reminds of when we were kids and would just let the bicycles flop onto the ground—- lol

I hope that you at least have not clothespinned a baseball card to the fender brace!!! brbrbrbrbrbrbrb

dfox

Andrew Nichols likes this.
  4. Brent NZ

Brent NZ Active Member

I imagine just about every long-time bike rider has had this experience: Put the bike on the side stand and start walking away...then you hear or sense something & turn only to see the bike falling to the ground as if in slow motion, and there's not a damn thing you can do about it.

5. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Seems to happen on fresh asphalt on a hot day.

After I learned to put the bike on the center stand *cough* I have come out on a hot day in fresh asphalt to see the center stand pegs sunk into the pavement. At least the bike didn't fall over.

6. Dark-Farmer

Dark-Farmer Member

So I ended up getting it welded today.
    We ended up taking the tank off and draining the carbs and leaning it to an almost 45 degree angle so he could get right in there.

I don't think it was the weld that didn't penetrate. The weld was still attached, welder said it was the heat stress beside the weld that failed and the kick stand bracket just sort of peeled away from there.

Pizzaman likes this.
  7. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Say what???

8. Dark-Farmer

Dark-Farmer Member

Like I said I know nothing about welding. But from what I was able to digest is that the weld did not fail, the metal broke where is was stressed from the heat of the original weld ?! I could have heard wrong

The green is the original weld I think it sort of broke beside it.

Attached Files:

9. Andrew Nichols

Andrew Nichols Active Member

20210530_212110.jpg
    Found out why the 900 Seca was leaning so far over while on the side stand and while oil was leaking out. The frame has peeled apart like a tin can and the top of the kickstand punctured the crankcase cover. (I've already drained the oil.)

I didn't know the frames were that thin. To fix this should I a) have it welded or b) replace that while bottom portion with a actin from a different frame? If b) does the don't section have to come from a 900 Seca frame. I have a friend that's offering a frame actin from a 750 Seca, would that work?

10. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

That is just too torn up to weld repair. There are cracks running in several directions. You need to remove by grinding all cracks before filling with weld.
    Any cracks left behind will probably return. A lap plate welded on top could provide extra strength but there's no room for this as the motor is a tight fit.

The 900 may have a larger & thicker wall tubing, not sure but this might be an option if the OD's are the same.
    Unless your welder is very good (thinking TIG pressure tickets) a backing insert should be put in place and that means putting your welds in a straight section of the frame.
    The roots of the weld will be very important.
    The frame likely contains some level of chromium content so suggest ER-90 type TIG wire.
    With backing inserts a good stick welder could do it E8018 or E9018 rod.
    Have a look at this sketch as a suggestion where to put the butt-welds, they are all under stress except the lower front which leans me to suggest a replacement frame.

If it was an 82 750 a replacement frame would obviously be the only sensible option but 83 Seca 900 frames will be scarce, still it IS THE BEST option obviously.

900frame.png

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  11. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

if you can eliminate all the torn steel and put your weld in the green location this would be a better location but impossible to get the 2nd insert inside the tubing.
    Put an insert in the rear location and TIG them.
    MIG could do it but your welder is not going to buy a spool of chrome wire for 2 small welds.
    900frame.png

12. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Yikes!

XJ900 frames use a larger OD tube than all of the other XJ's (about 32.3mm), so you can't use a donor section from some other XJ model............but if there's a motorcycle graveyard close by, you could take your calipers and see if you can find a section of some other model that would fit.