1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Chain adjustment better definition of deflection

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by XJ550H, Jun 16, 2015.

1. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

this is what my manual states

upload_2015-6-16_21-40-11.png
    my question is deflection. is it from the hanging position of the chain then push chain up ,or push chain down then up?

need to get this done before my rear brakes which is another thread i have started.

2. XXWoodmanXX

XXWoodmanXX Member

I always checked from the bottom. And, i thought deflection meant it's "total" range(both up AND down)?

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Just up. Deflection is measured relative to a vector, so you only measure from one refrence point to the point at which the chain moves when pressed on from one direction. Push the chain up to measure. The goal is having enough tightness to keep the chain from skipping sprocket teeth, but enough slack to keep it from binding as the suspension compresses.

4. Special K

Special K New Member

Hello
    What does center stand put up mean? Is the stand up and not being used? Or should the bike be on the center stand when checking chain slack? It’s a bit confusing to me.
    Keith

5. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Put the bike on the center stand. Put it in neutral. Rotate the back tire, check deflection at various points. It will vary due to chain/sprocket wear. At the tightest point, check the tension as k-moe described. Adjust accordingly, using the marks on each side of the the swing arm bracket to ensure the rear tire is aligned with the frame.

I find that no matter how well I adjust the "set screw" on the rear tires, the chain tends to tighten slightly when I tighten the rear tire bolts. I take this into account when setting tension with the rear tire loose. Curious of others have the same experience?

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

I use an old style folding carpenter ruler adjust the angle so the hash marhs are 90 degrees to chain then push up to see how much it moves
    I set the ruler at this location in the photo.
    so mark at bottom of chain push up mark again at bottom of chain. you can use top of chain if you want.
    chain def.JPG [​IMG]

manual does not give a minimum deflection to set to so I go for 35 mm readjust at 40.
    there is a thread by bigfitz where he talks about minimum deflection