1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Stolen XJ, maybe new XJ?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by carloslamas, Aug 12, 2020.

1. carloslamas

carloslamas New Member

My treasured 1985 XJ700 that I've owned and maintained for 14 years was stolen last month.

An affordable 1982 XJ1100 in very good condition recently came up on Craigslist, and I'm going to have a look tomorrow.

Sucks to lose a bike, but I'm a bit excited about maybe getting a new one.

Jetfixer and Rusty81 like this.
  2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Have a bike stolen is just not fun. I hope the new prospect pans out for you.

Jetfixer likes this.
  3. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Give us details on the missing 700... we can keep eyes out

Jetfixer and Door dude like this.
  4. carloslamas

carloslamas New Member

My stolen XJ700 has been found! But not recovered.

An acquaintance pointed me to a Nextdoor post, in which a guy one neighborhood over from me infiltrated a local backyard, found a bunch of stolen-looking bikes, and took and posted a bunch of pictures, including engine numbers. My XJ is one of them!

I walked over to make sure it's still there. It is, but it's not ridable -- the throttle sleeve is off the bars, the oil cap is missing, the battery is missing. But the carbs are still there, my aftermarket progressive shocks are still there, my new tires and SS braided brake lines are still there. Amateur work, thieves. The carbs are the easy-removal, hard to trace, value item on these bikes.

My plan is to update the cops on my case tomorrow, and then probably go steal it back. The Nextdoor poster had found his bike in the backyard in question, and wheeled it back the one block to his place. But it's like 10 blocks to mine. The poster offered his place as a staging area between taking my bike back and trailering it to where I need it.

So, that's the weird update so far. Curious to see the extent of the damage, but from what I saw while trespassing, it didn't look all that bad.

5. hogfiddles

Yaaaaay!!!

This is the third or so bike that has been found that I can recall.

1. One was in Texas (iirc), bike was stolen by a bunch of kids then left in a wadded mess in a hole— several of us here sent parts for our member to rebuild his bike

2. Next was a 900rk ( I already had the info for the database) that disappeared...... a fair bit of time passed, and a fellow contacted me to register a 900rk that he had just bought for cheap. ( guess you know where I’m going with this—). I went to log it in.... already there—oh look, this is one that was stolen awhile back!! I told the guy I had really bad news, but I would be willing to contact the owner first and lay out the situation. Long story short, cops did need to make a visit, he got his money back and the rightful owner got HIS bike back. Thanks to the 900rk Registry, the bike was found, the new buyer did not get in trouble cuz the registry was documentation and he provided the name/receipt of the seller he bought it from.
    3. Yours..... so glad you found it!!!

There are some of us that have lots of parts..... let us know what you need. But call cops NOW
    Dave Fox

ecologito likes this.
  6. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t wait till next day to update cops. Get them there to arrest the f***tard that stole the bike. So many of these thieving swine get a slap on the wrist and there back doing it again.
    But officer he was going to beat me with a tire iron so “ I blew his head clean off”
    Yes Dirty Harry is my hero.
    I have 2 Xj700n parts bikes let me know what you need.

hogfiddles likes this.
  7. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

You have the patience of a saint. I wouldn't be able to sleep.
    I agree, move on it before the bike moves again.
    I was ripped off twice when I was young and living in apartments. It really sucks.
    Sounds like this thief is an idiot.

hogfiddles likes this.
  8. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Contact the police right away, let them deal with it. Breaking into someone yard to get your bike back is not the way to do it. You risk all kinds of interesting things happening to you and your property. Now days you never know what could happy to your of the bikes. They could all be gone in an hr and then you might never get the bike back. Call the police, sit at the location in your car and see how it pans out. I would make sure all your legal stuff is up to speed as they will be checking on you too. License is up to day and insurance.

I still believe in our COPS and would want them on your side of this.

Franz and hogfiddles like this.
  9. carloslamas

carloslamas New Member

I finally heard from the police, and recovered my XJ700 the "right" way.

It's gonna need quite a bit of work, but from what I can tell, the carbs are untouched, which is a relief.

I appreciate everyone's support, and I will be taking you all up on the parts you've offered for sure. At a glance, I need:
    - ignition, tach, speedo
    - gas cap (preferably keyed to ignition, but i'll take what i can get)
    - oil cap
    - throttle sleeve
    - seat (but I think I might have a spare in my storage space)
    - rear turn signals
    - the RH grab rail isn't attached. not sure what's going on there, haven't had a chance to look more closely
    - battery
    - headlamp bucket, lens, bulb
    - gas tank securing bolt and rectangular washer

I'm glad I pulled the trigger on a running XJ1100! Now I can have a rideable bike while the other sits in the "project bike" stall.

10. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

I have headlight assy tach and speedo
    Etc....oil cap throttle sleeve and bolts and just pay the shipping and a token $25

11. hogfiddles

I may have rear signals for you...... will check tomorrow after work.

fwiw, the gas tank is secured with a bolt and a big oval plate, not a rectangular washer. The rectangular thing is just the riser from the frame which the bolt threads into. I might have the bolt and oval plate, Too.

dfox

12. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Is the thieve's yard visible form Google earth?

jayrodoh likes this.
  13. carloslamas

carloslamas New Member

14. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I am not surprised. Canadian police are just as lazy.
    My original Seca Turbo was stolen back in the day (probably 1988?). The thieves were only interested in a joy ride and ditched it in a farmer's field. It sat in their designated impound yard for 3 weeks until I got a call from them. My Turbo must have got the royal spa treatment because that's what the daily rate was. The cop said, you're a hard man to get hold of. I was at work and at home for the 3 week period and I'm sure I had an answer machine then.
    The 2nd bike I found sitting out front of the local bike breaker with a 4 sale sign on it.
    Completely pissed I went straight in asking WTF?
    They bought it at the police auction, fare and square, I would need to take it up with them.
    I called the police several times prior to see if it had been recovered, no sir, but if it turns up we'll call you right quick we will.
    The regional police have a social club near town. I'm sure recovered theft items and kick backs from the towing company pays for it all.

15. JMark

JMark Member

Wait, that's like right by me!?!

I was intrigued by the google maps idea and then I was like oh, must have defaulted to my location. What is the address where the bike was found?

16. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

Holy crap. Not far from me either.

Kinda makes you wonder how interested they would be in investigating a beating...

17. JMark

JMark Member

I wouldn't be much help in that, but I do wonder about a South Minneapolis XJ discussion over beer.....

Hell, maybe one of y'all has gauges for me to sync the carbs I could borrow? Waiting on valve shims and I guess that leads to the need to sync the carbs...

18. JPaganel

I use a homemade gauge for synching.

But some kind of an XJ meetup could be fun.

Maybe I will finally get my 600 going.

19. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

I had a look at that location - omg, straight street overload - I didn't know the sheer size of the suburbs.
    Glad I'm in windey west wales

20. JPaganel

That's not the suburbs. It's south of downtown, but very much in the city limits.