1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Xj750

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Kelvin Brantley, May 20, 2021.

1. Kelvin Brantley

Kelvin Brantley New Member

My bike starts as normal
    It can find neutral
    It takes off in first
    But when i hit the throttle it doesn’t take off
    When i put it in second third or fourth it doesn’t takes off when i hit the throttle nun happens

can anybody help me

2. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

OK, sounds good.

This is confusing.
    So it runs in neutral.
    You put it in 1st gear and let the clutch out it takes off.
    When you gas it, it dies? Is this what you've said?

3. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Sounds like it’s not going into gear? Selector spring broken shifter going up and down does nothing. Or completely roasted clutch?

Jetfixer likes this.
  4. Kelvin Brantley

Yes it runs in neutral it shifts into first but when i hit the throttle it doesn’t take off but the bike still runs it starts it’s little cruise but when i give it gas it doesn’t take off i can shift to second third and forth it doesn’t take off if i just sit still it cuts off like normal !

5. Kelvin Brantley

Yeah it’s not going into gear nothing rusted it’s not going into gear i opened up the clutch i ain’t take nothing apart yet until one of you guys help me completely

6. Kelvin Brantley

The shifter goes up and down nothing happens

7. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

8. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Sounds like the gears and or selector drum and fork are obstructed by something and the only thing this can be is pieces of the alternator/starter Hi Vo chain guide. Take the gear lever off and the gear selector cover and look at the selector mechanism to acsertain if anything is damaged. Look into the opening shown in the link below for bits of plastic. It could also be a damaged selector fork. If the problem is the plastic guide the cases will need to be split to replace it. Can you see any pieces of plastic in the engine oil or in the clutch housing?

Check this, it's when the bike is stuck in 1st but it might help you to find out what is wrong. Post some pictures of the mechanism if you take the cover off.

https://www.xjcd.org/emergency_guidectomy

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  9. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Do this test. Put the bike on it's centre stand and put it into first gear with the ignition switch off. Then try and turn the back wheel to make sure it is in first. You can also turn the back wheel with the bike in neutral and then try and putting the bike in first gear while doing so. Try and go through all the gears up and down the box with the engine not running. The back wheel should rotate freely only in neutral.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  10. Kelvin Brantley

What happens if it moves in first and second that’s how i know it’s a selector fork?
    Also i took the clutch housing apart and seen like shaving and pieces i seen a lot when i changed the oil then when i ran it change it again that’s what i seen bigger pieces so imma take the shifter apart like you said and see if i see anything but if i do then what i do ?

11. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Regarding first and second gears only further investigation will confirm the cause. If you have metal shavings and larger fragments in the oil that's bad. It could be fragments of the oil spray nozzle and the guide especially if the starter/alternator chain guide has failed. Do you still have these fragments and if so post a picture of them. In the meantime check under the gear shift lever cover. If the plastic guide has failed you will need to split the crankcases to replace it. The guides break up due to age not mileage. Old engine oil should never have visible debris of any kind in it.

Last edited: May 23, 2021
  12. Kelvin Brantley

This is also what i found could this need to be replaced ? And be the problem to my acceleration ?

Attached Files:

13. Kelvin Brantley

You see my pictures

14. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes that is friction material mixed with oil. I would replace all the clutch plates and fit new springs and bolts. Friction material worn away will cause clutch slip and therefore the bike will not accelerate as it should. Engine revs increase without a corresponding increase in acceleration. Is there any bluing on the plain metal plates? Heat causes that in some clutches. No wonder you are not going anywhere with a burnt out clutch. Better the clutch failing than the chain guide, the clutch is easy to replace.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    Kelvin Brantley and Jetfixer like this.
  15. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Jetfixer likes this.