1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Trash Stator/Alternator or reusable?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Rubodee83, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Rubodee83

Rubodee83 Member

Ok sounds good. Thanks again

2. Rubodee83

Rubodee83 Member

Question gentlemen. I want get new Middle gear pinion shims. I have the originals but they rusted. they read .15 and .50. The manual say to use a dial indicator and some brain effort with the lower 4 numbers on the case. I dont have a dial indicator because well i honestly have no clue how to use it. Just wondering if i could just buy new shims the same size as the originals and it be ok.

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Rubodee83 likes this.
  4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Rusty shims should not be an issue, just scuff them with some scotchbrite or very fine sandpaper and jam them back in place........

Rubodee83 likes this.
  5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

While that will work it's not a guarantee that the gear lash will be set correctly, unless the cleaned-up shims have been measured to ensure that they are still of the correct thickness.

@Rubodee83 Measuring the shims canbe done well enough with a cheap set of calipers. A micrometer would be preferable, but calipers will do. When cleaning the rust off use finishing paper that's been taped to a flat surface, and move the shims ina figure-8 to clean them up. Use a splash of water to help the shims slide evenly and keep the paper clean.

Franz, Rubodee83 and XJ550H like this.
  6. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Correct, the only way to determine that is to follow the measuring procedure in the service manual, which requires the use of a dial indicator, etc. It's my understanding that.....just like with valve shims.....the shims do not actually wear thinner, but other components change dimensionally, requiring re-shimming to compensate for such wear. But I may be wrong.

XJ550H likes this.
  7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

it is one of those things that while your in there you may as well make sure its correct,

k-moe likes this.
  8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Youre right, but it takes a really long time to need to reshim a gear that runs in an oil bath. My concern about reusing rusty shims has to do with the amount of rust, that rust takes up 30% more volume than the parent steel, and removing rust can change the thickness of a shim.

The determining factor for me has always been how much rust, and where it is.
    Rusty edges? No worries, just clean and reuse.
    Light film of rust on the flats that canbe rubbed off with my thumb? Scothchbrite and reuse.
    Bumps or pits? Wet-sand and measure as long as there are very few pits.
    Any flaking? Junk.

chacal likes this.
  9. Rubodee83

Rubodee83 Member

The edges are kind of flakey. They fell out of place when pulling the housing out during tear down. I’ll have to clean them up more to see if there are any pits and measure them.
    59320049-D96F-4482-BA90-3B3B05B6BFA7.jpeg 60F6137C-B564-4274-946B-96CD366FBF2F.jpeg 11C5E0D6-4651-454A-819A-B1B47EDD01F8.jpeg 0FDA7AB7-0C41-4A73-B3EE-98716F4966E9.jpeg

10. Rubodee83

Rubodee83 Member

Also during the tear down this was on the outside of the bearing closest to the 5th gear. Not sure what it is but seems like an oil seal. Looking at the exploded view of the parts i can’t find it in the manual.

Attached Files: