1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Eric Hughes

Eric Hughes Member

Lots of riding. Got right at 200 miles in on just about every type of road. Triad area of North Carolina up to The Blue Ridge Parkway access in Floyd Virginia and back. Very happy with the bike since this is the longest ride I’ve ever taken it on and just finished the carb rebuild a few weeks ago. Had one guy (green Kawasaki) turn around and come back to where we were taking a break because he saw the XJ. Was a good day. Today however I’m a bit stiff so it’s a rest day for me and the XJ. Maybe it will get a good clean up.

Attached Files:

2. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I’ve ridden interstates for an entire day to ride the Blue Ridge.
    You’re so lucky to be so close. Cheers

Eric Hughes likes this.
  3. StarGeneral

StarGeneral Active Member

Today is a rest day, this week the bike has been kicking my ass, as I've been trying to bleed the brakes on my 81 XJ750R. Also having trouble getting the airbox boots back onto the carbs but I know what I need to do...just too tired to do it today lol.

Jetfixer likes this.
  4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

If you have a heat gun, ( hair drier, paint stripping gun) that will help make the boots more flexible. As far at the brakes go, start with the caliber farthest from the master. If it still feel like there is air in them. Pull the brake handle in secure it over night. That helps bleed it sometimes. Good luck.

StarGeneral likes this.
  5. StarGeneral

StarGeneral Active Member

Thanks for the tip Tim - I did end up having to shift the engine forward (not a huge deal) but used my heat gun to loosen up the boots a little like you said and it helped tremendously. Also set aside the vacuum bleeder I had and took a few turns doing it the old fashioned way. All done with the left side just habe to bleed the right now.

6. scoobydew

scoobydew Member

Rebuilt master cylinder and getting ready to mount it and hooked up electrical. Whichever Yamaha engineer thought it was a good idea to put the master cylinder BEHIND the headlight was trolling.

Timbox and StarGeneral like this.
  7. Marchy

Marchy Member

I like it!!!!

Attached Files:

Jetfixer and Uxbridge Brule like this.
  8. Uxbridge Brule

Uxbridge Brule Active Member

Welded the collector box and put the Maxim on its new for now home. Finally got a lift from Princess Auto( Canada's Horbor Freight) couldn't make one for the price. The rebuild/refresh starts.

9. Toyobaru866

Toyobaru866 Active Member

Rebuild the master cylinder and bench tested today, mount ss brake lines tomorrow, fill/bleed system and go for a ride on Saturday!

10. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

next is to put the motor in it

11. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

It is doable but I don’t think my wife would like me cutting up her cart.

12. Toyobaru866

Toyobaru866 Active Member

Fitted SS brake lines yesterday and after reading about this here I filled the lines from the bottom up. Had pressure after fiddling with the brake lever and tapping the brake lines after 10 minutes. Left it over the night with the brake lever zip tied to the handle bar. This morning the brakes felt great. After reading a lot of horror stories about bleeding the lines it was a piece of cake.

XJ550FirstTimeBuilder and Franz like this.
  13. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Yesterday pulled the carbs off my yellow Seca , two years since rebuild , been getting difficult to start with choke . The treatment with MEK was only partially successful, so pulled carbs and removed float bowls they were spotless, but two the fuel enrichment jets were rather plugged up could not spray carb cleaner through jet got them cleaned out . Reinstalled carbs and now starts right up . I had ordered new butterfly seals from Chacal they arrived for my spare set of carbs I had already took to church but I had tried the two number eleven O rings . Put new seals in so if I ever need them got a spare set .

14. Andy Dobkins

Andy Dobkins Member

if you can find it get some 3 in 1 oil warm it up or as hot as you can get it nice clean soda can works grate and pure in plug hole . I know a few old shade tree mechanic that used it to free up rings worth a shot .

15. Jetfixer

Rode my yellow seca almost 100 miles ran flawlessly. Was great when I left got out on state line and wind kicked up :mad: was blowing me around so called it a day. Rode the Johnny Cash bike put almost 50 miles it. Good day of riding.

16. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Well, I re-tuned the 700 last night after dark in my carport. Took ride to warm up bike, inserted YICs tool, color tuned, vacuum synced. This time I did use my homemade YICs tool to see if I could see a difference. As far as color tuning goes, I have a very wide range of adjustment with a blue flame. I observed the frequency of sparking and adjusted the mixture to a point where I had the most frequent firing with the fewest gaps. This seemed to be very close to where I start to see the yellow creeping in. Again the homemade mercury manometer worked perfectly and the sync required very little adjustment. Took a test ride and it seems to purr like a kitten, better than ever. Oil change today and I should be good to go for the Carb Clinic ride.

17. Uxbridge Brule

Uxbridge Brule Active Member

Wish we up here could travel I want to get to a carb clinic someday.....

k-moe likes this.
  18. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

We have had a cool spring, so have kept my fall/spring windscreen off longer than normal. Last weekend removed it as temperatures moved to the high 90's. With and without photos (not taken in the same season, so you will notice the handgrips and tires have been replaced, etc:

3589.jpg
    3674.jpeg

yacobmayer, k-moe, tj. and 3 others like this.
  19. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Nice machine cgutz.

Jetfixer likes this.
  20. Jetfixer

That is a nice bike!!!