1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Petcock doesnt work in "On" position

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by mlwistrom, Oct 3, 2015.

1. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

This would be a challenge for most of us as well. Our English is considered Broken English. I watch shows from across the pond on television and have no clue as to some of things they're saying.o_O

Gary H.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    quebecois59 likes this.
  2. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

Fuel released from each of the bowls one at a time while bike off (of course) and in PRI position. Got a bunch of air from #1 drain as this was the first one I bled. It was deceiving at first because at first a TON of bubbles were coming out. I realized it was probably because I had the drain screw loosened too much and air was more than likely sneaking around the threads, getting in and then coming back out the nipple. The bubble in the line either traveled towards the carbs, or backfilled with fuel. Either way, at that point, bubble gone!

It did help to open the cap and blow into the filler hole (don't laugh) to move it along. Started the bike and ran it a few minutes in ON position and the bubble came back, though it definitely was not as large as before. A few more fuel purge attempts might just do the trick.

Thank you all for the help on this.

3. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

UPDATE:

I was able to shorten the fuel line by another 2 inches (about an inch from both sides of the inline filter) The filter is at a good downward 45 degree angle now. Looks like my bubble and fuel supply issues are resolved. I've also run in it in ON position without incident so far... which I was not able to do previously.

Again, thanks all...

rocs82650 and Stumplifter like this.
  4. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

This thread reminded me that the guy I bought my second Seca900 from had a hard time making the bike idle properly, now I suspect it was partly due to his poor fuel line setup

Fuel line setup.JPG

5. rocs82650

I'd say so.

Gary H.

6. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Haha! I'm the same way with French... but Tabernac! All the good words seem to come out when the beer bottles are empty! Your english is much better than my French, though.
    Might that fuel filter be too restrictive to get enough gas to the carbs? 4 thirsty mouths to feed! I don't have a filter, but I hear that most recommend the brass filter material.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  7. rocs82650

The paper filters don't allow the fuel to flow fast enough for the four hungry mouths.

Gary H.

8. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

Those four mouths are not that hungry at idle but I understand that it could become a problem at higher revs.

9. Kevin M Addis

Kevin M Addis New Member

I have a question? What is the on position? Could somebody post a pic of the different positions? I really don't like this petcock setup but maybe if I knew what was what I wouldn't feel this way. Thanks guys.

10. StarGeneral

StarGeneral Active Member

Look at the lever. The end of it should have an arrow that points to the position it is set to.

11. Kevin M Addis

Kevin M Addis New Member

Well that might explain it. I gotta put my glasses on and go look at it. Thank you

12. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

StarGeneral and Minimutly like this.