1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How long to work in new clutch plates?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Tony222, May 23, 2021.

1. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Better to be forewarned than risk this. See Polock's clutch. Fit new bolts, they are inexpensive and they must be torqued properly.

https://xjbikes.com/forums/threads/clutch-replacement.39555/

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  2. Tony222

Tony222 Member

Thanks Franz I shall give it a read.

3. 50gary

50gary Active Member

Don't most guys pre-soak clutch discs in oil overnight before installation, not saying that's your problem but just wondering if it a common practice?
    Cheers 50gary

4. Tony222

Tony222 Member

I saw that to on a YouTube video but I don't know if my mechanic did that but I am guessing he did. He had the bike for a week and either way I have put about 100 kliks on it already since I got it back. I still haven't had the chance to test drive it since I adjusted the clutch cable/pivot arm. Maybe today if I get a chance. thanks

5. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

You see, I have an issue with this. As allways, the xj is different, and you need to read someones (well put together actually) photo blog thing, or else you are an idiot...
    So, from this, there are - actually, no there is nothing that tells me, as a first time stripper rebuilder of an xj clutch, that you need to watch/read/absorb this. There is nothing special about an xj clutch.
    Sure, you can suggest where the actuator arm sits against the lifter, but that's common sense, and the angle varies between the 550 600 and the 650 up.
    Sure you should change the springs and bolts, and torque them up correctly.
    But there is nothing special here, so why say there is?

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The Xj has quirks, as do almost all motorcycles.
    One of them being eactly zero wiggle room for clutch cable adjustment, and a service manual that is not exactly clear on how to adjust it correctly.
    Common sense must be either taught, or learned by making a lot of mistakes. Most current dealership techs are parts changers who were never trained to work on older machines.
    The OP is new to motorcycles, and either has to trust a mechanic that likely does not know exactly what he's doing (the clutch would be working properly if he did), or learn enough abut how things work so he can either do the work himself or verify that work was done correctly before he leaves the shop.

I stand by my statement.

Please note that I never called ANYONE an idiot.
    As always; feel free to disagree, but don't insult me or put words into my mouth.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i moved the cable to a new hole, one diameter + closer to the splines.
    now i have enough adjustment to move the engage point around. it's a bit harder to pull but not very much

8. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

My appologies, of course you didn't, but the inference was there. And again "trust a mechanic that likely does not inow exactly what he's doing, the clutch would be working etc" so now you know the op has a clutch issue, definately, and not a selector issue? And this mechanic may have years experience actually working on these bikes, and others? Maybe he doesn't whatever, but he's only setting a lever on some splines and turning some adjusters to zero out free play.
    There you go, point missed again, maybe I made it badly, again.

k-moe likes this.
  9. Tony222

Tony222 Member

Okay so I readjusted the clutch and actually its worse. Just so you know I purchased 2 of these bikes and am working on both of them at the same time trying to get one running good enough so my son can use it and take his motorcycle test. One is silver and the other is black. The reason I am explaining this is because I got the silver one first and kind of learned how to set the clutch up with this bike. The silver one ( aka the bullet as in the silver bullet) now has all the gears but still has an issue with first that I am working through. The black bike that the mechanic just did the clutch plates on is 85% ready to go is having the clutch issues/shifter issues. When I just redid the clutch on the black bike I redid it just like I learned from doing the silver bullet bike but it actually made it worse and the clutch barely engaged so now I have to redo that part and move it more back to where the mechanic had it or even farther. The mechanic also pointed out that the shifter on the black bike that he did the clutch plates was worn out and had too much play. He said that I will need a new one of those and a spring that attaches to that shifter also. I will work on the clutch a bit more and price out the parts needed for the shifter. The black bike is now the one for my son as it has everything working as in the sensor on the kick stand, all the lights, etc. The silver bullet I am getting ready to sell as my son only needs 1 bike and I drive a older Goldwing so its an extra bike at this point.

k-moe likes this.
  10. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Fair enough. I did not mean to imply anything. Ignorance of a procedure doesn’t make someone an idiot.