1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ700 Piston Rings

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Archaviator, Oct 14, 2020.

1. JCH

JCH Active Member

Yup... I did, it's in my spare parts bin.

k-moe likes this.
  2. The best jx

The best jx New Member

Hey I’m in the same exact boat I have my motor apart I found my baby in an old chip truck in the back of someone’s house he had a nighthawk 450 and traded it for the maxim when he got it it hasn’t been running for 6 years I got it super cheap and it was in surprisingly good shape and also got a bunch of parts from this guy who had one his x gf sold it on him. as of rn I’m sandblasting all the cases and heads getting ready for powder coating and my rings are probably not good and I do not want to chance it the 700 and 750 rings are both 65mm but the 750 rings top compression rings are every so much thicker then the 700 but what I was thinking what if u shave the ring lands down to make them fit or sand the rings idk if they have a special coating or not tho maybe somebody knows. sanding the rings (if they don’t have a coating on them )would be easier then saving the ring lands this to me seems to be the only way unless the 750 pistons will work with the 700 head cylinder and crank

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

get a used set of 700 pistons bring to a machine shop have them do the work to the pistons.

750 pistons will not work wrist pin location is different

word of caution
    Yamaha being Yamaha they would have used the 750 rings on the 700 if it were possible.
    They must have had a good reason to change the rings the way they did.

not to rain on your idea I think it would have been done by now if it were possible to use the 750 rings with just a little mod to the pistons.
    I have been on this site for a long time and the 700 rings have been un available for all of that time , biggest reason I have not purchased a 700 as much as I would like to.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
    Jetfixer and chacal like this.
  4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

for the tarriff years yamaha dumped the 550 and 650 to make the 600 seca II , spent millions to get the 900 approved for sale in the US and dropped it.
    made the little sister of the 900 the 750 version and only sold it in canada not the US.

Jetfixer likes this.
  5. The best jx

The best jx New Member

Yes I’m surprised nobody has tried it yet I’m thinking about doing this or just dropping a 750 crank with pistons if it works with my cylinder and head from what I can see that should work to but ik what ur thinking just go get a 650 or 750 complete motor but for some reason there pretty much none in Nova Scotia