1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1983 xj650lk Seca Turbo Start button and Spark

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by John Bookout, May 30, 2021.

1. John Bookout

John Bookout New Member

Hello Everyone this is my first post and it comes after scouring the forum best I could and googling any and everything (xj4ever and xjcd the most helpful). Apologies if I'm doing this wrong.

This comes down to 2 simple issues:
    1. When in neutral, sidestand up and clutch engaged to be sure, The start button makes the system register starting "load" lights go off, display dims as it should to start the bike, however the engine makes no attempt to start, no starter motor engagement.
    2. No spark on plugs when jumping the bike at the solenoid but it turns over all day. So the starter motor and solenoid (new) work fine.

Hopefully that tells you a lot about what is/isn't working.

Right now I am waiting on replacement 12r-01 relays to arrive, held up with usps. Would that relay be preventing both issues if bad? What circumstances causes that relay to 'click like other ones, because I have never heard it like all the other ones.

I've been rebuilding this all winter and this one issue has stopped me cold for the last month.

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

kill run switch in on position? this happens more than you think.
    you say"when jumping the bike at the solenoid" you mean jumping the 2 cable nuts to make it spin?

the starter button may be bad/dirty , wire broken off inside control.. the starter button makes ground for the solinoid activation circuit.

what happens with side stand down in neutral?

clutch engaged so your hand if off the lever?

does your neutral light come on?

does bike start in gear sidestand up and clutch squeezed?

Jetfixer likes this.
  3. XJ550H

all about relays and what they do
    The Ultimate Relay, Switch, Sensor, and Diodes Guide

12r-01

Starting/Ignition Cut-Off/Neutral Safety relay:

if you remove the relay and jump the 2 red/white wires together will the bike start.
    the relay makes the connection for these two wires so the ignition /starting system functions

Jetfixer likes this.
  4. John Bookout

John Bookout New Member

Thank you for the reply, I'll try answer questions in order:

1. Kill switch is in the "run" position, I replaced the original and cleaned the contacts on the inside of the button and switch, I'm getting continuity through all points.

2. I used a screwdriver to jump the bolt points at the solenoid to make it turn over.

3. Neutral light is on when in neutral as it should.

4. In gear, side stand up and clutch pulled in, will not start.

5. The wiring harness is not a match for the relay listed on xj4ever, but the one on xjcd for this bike. The wires are a r/w and r/b and I wasn't sure if when jumped, the diode missing is keeping it from starting.

Additional info: with a multimeter reading volts with the key on, I am getting about 4.5v to the r/b wire and .03 to r/w (with start button pushed in)

5. XJ550H

1ok
    2 ok
    3 ok

4 not start or not turn over?

5 + low voltage situation feed wire red/white should be 12 volts what do you get with just key on and not pushing starter button?
    red blue wire is a carrier wire so voltage is from r/w does sound like relay is bad burnt contacts or not closing .
    chase voltage from ignition fuse input side and output side , then up to kill switch, then to relay
    you should be getting 12.8 volts up to the relay and along the path of that circuit.
    is battery fully charged?
    still using glass fuses? at minimum replace ignition glass fuse with an inline blade fuse.
    starter circuit.JPG
    each point along the starter should give you 12 volts greens are ground before you press starter button.

6. XJ550H

you should also be getting 12 volts along the ignition paths
    ignition circuit.JPG

7. John Bookout

John Bookout New Member

Thanks again!

Re: 4. It does not turn over

I will be doing all those tests of the circuits in the next few days, and with the replacement relays so it's as complete of a system as I can make it. I won't leave this thread as dead without a resolution. I appreciate the responses Kj!

8. John Bookout

John Bookout New Member

In comparing that wiring diagram to the few I have, is it the one of the seca turbo? I'm struggling to get my bearings with what you've shared.

Here is the diagrams from the service manual, hopefully the render ok.

As I am not getting any voltage from the battery to the engine cutoff relay mentioned earlier, my question is, how does power get from the battery, to that point? What is it's path of travel. Hoping that's not too broad of a question PXL_20210516_161904659.jpg

9. XJ550H

I will check my turbo manual again but going from your diagram
    battery voltage goes to key from main fuse , when key is on to ignition fuse
    then from key to emergancy stop engine relay (when bike is dropped)
    Then to starter circuit cut off relay ( needs to be in neutral or clutch pulled in in gear,side stand up to function)
    then voltage goes to solinoid and when you press starter button you make ground for the circuit ,solinoid contacts close starter spins

battery connects directly to solinoid the the other nut goes directly to starter

10. XJ550H

e stop switch shuts down emergancy stop engine relay

Emergency Stop Switch:

This switch is sometimes referred to as a "Ballast Switch" in the service manual. It is activated whenever the tilt angle of the bike is more than about 60-degrees from vertical (so don't lean it too far over in the corners!). If the allowable tilt angle is exceeded....like when you dump the bike....this switch cuts power to the ignition system and, on the XJ650 Turbo model, to the fuel pump.

- on all XJ650 Turbo models: on the main fairing mounting bracket.