1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Loud Ticking noise in XJ1100, goes away with rpm >~ 1200

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by AlexS-XJ1100, May 30, 2021.

1. AlexS-XJ1100

AlexS-XJ1100 New Member

Ordered a DID chain, I could probably use a new tensioner, I'll look at getting an automatic.

2. AlexS-XJ1100

AlexS-XJ1100 New Member

Thats is currently at full extension, I don't know what it was like when I pulled it out unfortunately. It seems to be in order, so if it is a chain slappin around, It is likely the chain itself and not the tensioner.

This video shows the noise a little better, pulling plugs 1/4 removes noise.

3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

That is what I mean if the tensioner is fully extended when fitted it might not tension the chain at all hence the noise. I would try the tensioner on the engine fully extended to see if the case meets up with the cylinder block. Yes the noise is different with the plugs out.

4. AlexS-XJ1100

AlexS-XJ1100 New Member

Ah gotcha, glad we're on the same train of thought. I'll try putting the tensioner in later today.

5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Your other video when you rev the engine the chain noise (I assume) dissapeares and then starts again when the revs fall because it's rattling on the guides. If you refit the tensioner fully as stated, and take the cam cover off you might see slack in the chain when rotating the crank with a spanner. Move it a clockwise and anticlockwise. Perhaps the chain is so worn the tensioner while working properly is unable to tension it?

6. AlexS-XJ1100

AlexS-XJ1100 New Member

Thats why i'm so confused, I had the cover off and was doing exactly what you described, and the chain on the tensioner side did seem a little loose. I'm about to do a plastigauge on the bearings, I'll plop the head back on and double check the tension once that's done.