1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

took the carbs to church and now I cant get the bike to start

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by NikoRx, Mar 1, 2020.

1. NikoRx

NikoRx Member

Well now I’m not sure if something slipped or if I messed up but I thought the notches on the cams were supposed to match up with the notches on the crankshaft?

Attached Files:

2. NikoRx

NikoRx Member

So what would be the proper way to get all three of the marks to line up? Undo the cam tensioner, undo the sprockets and put slack in the chain, rotate crank shaft to T and reassemble? Or will I have to redo the whole section?

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

rotate the t mark to pointer at the 3:00 position
    remove cam chain tensioner this should give you enough slack to move links. if not you will have to remove sprockets and start as if it were a new install
    aling the cam mark with the arrow on the cam cap

4. NikoRx

NikoRx Member

Hey guys,

back at it again, so I have all three marks lined up, the TDC and two camshafts. I am struggling with understanding how to get the sprockets on while making sure the cam chain is taught and engaged and finally lining up the cam sprockets to be screwed in the hole. The directions just aren’t working out. Do I start with both sprockets on the shoulder or off? Anyone with experience or a how to video would be much appreciated

Attached Files:

5. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

I'm going to be in the same boat after I replace the shims on the X and reassembling. Not looking forward to it. Waiting for warm Spring weather. Maybe the elves will do it for me as a Christmas surprise.

Franz and NikoRx like this.
  6. NikoRx

NikoRx Member

I want to bang my head against the wall, I keep matching the TDC mark and the two marks on the cam lobes but when I put my cam chain tensioner in I do not hear a click and when I rotate it counter clockwise twice the lobes don’t align with the dots. I have no idea where I’m this process I am messing up but I took it apart 6 times…

7. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Is the chain taught between the crankshaft and the exhaust camshaft and the inlet? I set the crank to tdc. Then l fit the exhaust cam and the inlet cam. Then the sprockets can be fitted exhaust first, then the inlet sprocket. I hold the cam with an open ended spanner to line up the mark and fit the sprocket to its boss.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
  8. NikoRx

NikoRx Member

I have it tight from the exhaust to the crankshaft and from the crankshaft to the intake with the loose chain between the exhaust and intake supported by the chain guide

9. NikoRx

NikoRx Member

I’m going to put together a YouTube video this weekend of what I’m doing and will post it.
    And I apologize but what do you mean by the inlet?

10. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Inlet cam l mean. Good idea posting the video so you can get more help.

NikoRx likes this.
  11. NikoRx

NikoRx Member

Yep that’s exactly what I have been doing, something just keeps slipping. they nearly line up when I have it aligned with the C on the timing plate and I’m not hearing the click when I depress the cam chain tensioner bolt. I stick my finger in that hole where the cam chain tensioner goes and the chain guide Is pretty firmly in its position when aligned with the C position. Wham I rotate CCW to the T position it is off significantly.

12. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Just checking is your exhaust camshaft guide in the correct location in the crankcase. There is a small pocket it fits into tight to the chain. It's easy to fit it outside that.

13. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Here is a photograph of the exhaust camshaft guide pocket or seat. This is the 900f engine. I am assuming your engine guide position will be the same. Hope this helps.

16437806736064255180652710319884.jpg

14. NikoRx

NikoRx Member

So my exhaust cam shaft guild is bolted into its position, and I believe the intake is in the right spot but I will definitely double check that!

15. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

My mistake the head is on your engine. A momentary lapse of reason lol.

16. NikoRx

NikoRx Member

haha I appreciate it regardless, losing my mind and feel like once I get over this problem and redo the valve shims there would be very little remaining to prevent the bike from running. I found a vintage bike shop that I may be able to take it into but I would rather do it myself....

17. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Bike shop. The online shop is here lol post a video link of your engine timing and others will chime in. Good wrenching. You will fix it. More reward when you fix it yourself :D.

18. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

bulb could be bad or making poor connection in the socket. or it could be the wire inside the directional control is loose and needs to be resoldered.
    is this happening when bike is off or running?

float height setting is a place to start before wet setting Setting the fuel levels

the replacment valve body needles may be shorter or longer then originals so the wet set is the final step

19. Natedogg1123

Natedogg1123 Member

I want to hear the updates on this. I have gone through a good few issues you have. Still having a starting problem on my bike. 81xj650H. Going to recheck my shims again as this really seems to be a big culprit with these bikes. My bike will start sometimes but only with choke on. Run for about 30 sec- 1 min and then just suddenly die. So either a fuel issue, shim issue or both.

20. AG650

AG650 New Member

Hi, I've just pulled my cylinder head, cylinders and pistons off of my 78 XS1100. I plan on replacing the valve stem seals and piston rings. Everything else looks good, but I am a little bit nervous about ensuring that I put the cam chain back onto the cam chain sprockets correctly and I don't mess up the timing.

Attached Files: