1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Shop/mechanic recommendations in Richmond,VA

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Khakis, May 30, 2021.

1. Khakis

Khakis New Member

Any local mechanics or shops that anyone would recommend in or near Richmond, VA?

I have a 1981 Yamaha XJ 650

It’s time I let my pride down and let a professional do their thing. Currently turns over and sounds like it wants to start but it won’t.

any and all recommendations are appreciated

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Have you put a mulitmeter set to volts accross your battery terminals when cranking the engine? Voltage must not drop below 10 volts when engine is cranking or you won't get a spark at the plugs. Try a car battery on jump leads first. Plenty of help here to get your machine running properly. How long have you owned the bike? Was it stored for some time before you bought it?

3. Khakis

Khakis New Member

I’ve got sparks across plugs and I’ve been jumping off my truck just to rule that out. Bike sat for 2 years before I purchased. When purchased, it had a seized engine ( was not aware of seized engine at the time , this is my first motorcycle). I have replaced piston rings, honed cylinders, soaked carbs off rack then carb rebuild kit. Made sure the timing was correct according to the book... I turn here over fully choked and with no choke while spraying starting fluid in air box and all she does is sound like she’s on the verge of starting but won’t actually fire up. I can tell I’m close but missing something that I’m not aware of

4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

5. Khakis

Khakis New Member

I haven’t done a compression test or checked valve clearance so I’ll look in that direction. Thanks for the tips

6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

You need to make sure your valve clearances are correct so you can synchronise the carburettors to the engine.

7. scoobydew

scoobydew Member

Maybe post a picture or a video. I'm surprised it didn't start after spraying some starter fluid. If it hasn't started yet and new rings were just installed, wouldn't the compression be low until the engines runs for a while and the rings seat? I'd say valve clearances first, try to get it run then check compression when engine is warm. If it's a bit low, I heard the bike should be ridden a few miles to seat rings then check compression again. I don't know how true that is or if compression should be good immediately after ring installation.

8. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

The compression should be good even when new rings are fitted assuming he checked the end gaps and they were within specification and the bores are within specification. When the bikes were new the compression had to be good obviously , (I assume they needed running in) but as the carburettors are syncronised with the vaccum off each cylinder the valve clearances are very important in getting the engine running right. Valve clearances, then carburettor syncronisation. My bike was not running right, when I did the clearances it was like a different engine.

cgutz likes this.
  9. scoobydew

scoobydew Member

Agreed. However, should compression be checked on a cold engine? Since he can't get it started I'd imagine the rings won't expand from the engine firing up thus not giving a nice seal and giving him low compression readings.

10. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

He can check the compression on a cold engine. It will give a guide between cylinders although l imagine the pressures will be higher on a hot engine.

11. Khakis

Khakis New Member

I do hvac for a living so haven’t had much time past few days but I’ll be able to report back this weekend. Appreciate the advice

12. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

A compression test is normally done on a cold engine. If there isn’t enough compression when cold, the engine will never start.

Franz likes this.