1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Xj550 engine rebuild please help!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Noahsxj, Jun 3, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Noahsxj

Noahsxj Active Member

Hello, I’m about to start a 1982 xj550 engine rebuild, how do I remove the cams? Heads? What should I watch out for? I have a full rebuild kit, what tools should I get?
    ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED THANK YOU!!

Attached Files:

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Do you have a Haynes manual for your bike?

Noahsxj and FJ111200 like this.
  3. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

I've got to go with what Franz says, get a manual for a start. That will be easier to understand than members on the forum all chucking their answers in if you ain't got a clue and to be honest it sounds like you're a beginner. Fair enough ask away with any questions but be prepared for a few different answers on the same question.
    Also, keep all your questions on one thread, i noticed you started another thread with slightly different questions on the same subject.
    There are few members with the 550 and they will probably be along soon enough to help get you on your way. Good luck.

Noahsxj likes this.
  4. Noahsxj

Noahsxj Active Member

I have the clymer book that came with the bike. It’s alright, wish it had some more details and specs

5. Noahsxj

Noahsxj Active Member

This is my first 4 stroke build. Yesterday I got the engine to turn over at the crank, and sounds like compression is really good but I don’t have a gauge, the cams look real clean, and everything sounds smooooth, should I still do the rebuild? Or just a thorough cleaning? Just rebuild the heads? I’ve got the clymer book but it’s not as detailed as I would like.

6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Why do you want to rebuild the engine? Most times it is not necessary. Did you do a compression test to find out if the compression in each cylinder and between cylinders was in line with Yamaha's specifications? Don't disassemble the engine until you have evidence it needs done.

Noahsxj likes this.
  7. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

Rule one.If it's not broke don't fix it.

Minimutly, Franz and cgutz like this.
  8. Noahsxj

Noahsxj Active Member

mostly restoration reasons, I’ve 100% redone the frame, wheels, hardware, caliper, carbs, wiring harness, all completely gone through
    All I have left is the engine! The intake manifold part of the heads are pretty heavy on carbon buildup, and the top of the pistons from what I could see through the spark plug threads looked built up as well, and the fact that the engine wouldn’t turn unless I put some diesel in the cylinders. But now that it’s freed back up, I’m debating. I still want to clean and polish the exterior of the block and covers too, which would be easier if it was in pieces. Unless you guys have any tricks?

9. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

as @Franz suggested above do a compression test 1st thing you do.
    If its all good then just carry on making the motor look pretty without tearing it apart.
    Set the valves, get a new valve cover gasket if the existing is cracked or hard.
    You could take the oil pan off, that will reveal a lot about your motor.
    Your work looks really good BTW.

10. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i take the covers off, starter and get those 90% put it together and work on the block.
    will you paint it or shine it?

11. Noahsxj

Noahsxj Active Member

So I’ve gotten a ton done, I decided to shine the engine, I still want to do more though. I also need to strip the tank and do a 3 stage clean and reseal because of some rust. I have a new petcock and cap to go with that.
    i spent nearly 6 hours running the wiring harness, and having to modify the rear lighting, all the engine plugs and wiring was cut. Also had to wire in my own left hand controls and they all work but I ordered an oem one yesterday.
    I’ve gotten it to turn over, spark, filled with oil, both brake lights and all cluster lights working. All safety switches had to be custom wired.
    Everythings sound! I’ll be updating the startup hopefully soon, and if anyone knows where or has a muffler or these, or even possibly a seca tank?

Attached Files:

Franz likes this.
  12. Noahsxj

Noahsxj Active Member

Look what I found at a scrap yard for $20! Not a spec of rust on the inside, I’m getting it sandblasted right now, I’ll have to fill some dents and I’m still going to use my tank reseal kit on this one now.
    But 650 seca tanks will mount securely with a small amount of fabwork to the 550! I’ve gone bananas trying to find a 550 seca tank.
    I also grabbed a pair of really nice Harley sportster mufflers, and a Yamaha radian collector with only 2,100 miles on it and zero damage from this same yard for $60
    The bike is complete!

Attached Files:

13. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

Nice score for $20! The dog seems to like it too.

14. RangerG

RangerG Member

I recently rebuilt the top end on my 550. I had one weak cylinder. Tear down check showed the cylinders in spec so it had new rings installed along with new valve guide seals and of course all the gaskets and o-rings needed.
    My first step was to accept the offer of help from a great friend who owned a HD dealership for 35 years and is an awesome mechanic.
    Everything went ok except for a ripped base gasket, my fault! Made a new one.
    We had a bitch of a time getting the cams lined up properly.we said bad words and eventually got them lined up. Still not sure exactly how we did it.
    Bikes runs nice and has gotten its old power back.

Would have been impossible to find over sized pistons and rings. Only option it it was out of spec would have been new liners at a huge cost.