1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Stator won't fit

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Patrick Currie, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Patrick Currie

Patrick Currie New Member

Just reviewed a new stator for my 83 xj 750 midnight maxim. Looks exactly like the old one but it won't fit in the casing. Like it's millimeters to big. Only difference I see is the old ones outer ring is smooth and the new one has ridges. Can I sand the ridges down to make it fit?

2. Patrick Currie

Received. Not reviewed

3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Put one stator on top of the other one to compare the diameter. You should not have to sand ridges down to fit a new part. What happens if it gets damaged? Did you check the part numbers of both?

4. Patrick Currie

Don't know about part number. I bought it off ricks motorsports through parts giant. Visually they look exactly the same except one is smooth and the new one has ridges. When ordering it, it said it fit my bike but I geuss I'll have to send it back

5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Just wondering did you check your alternator output before ordering the new stator? If the brushes are worn down to their limit they may not by supplying voltage to the rotor and then the alternator will have no output voltage. The stators are very reliable. The slip rings on the rotor should be clean and shiny.

6. Patrick Currie

Rings are clean and shiny on the rotor. Yes I tested the stator and rotor. Stator tested bad. Rotor tested good.

7. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just curious, do you have some numbers? Was it resistance test or voltage output that determined it was bad?

Maybe a phone call to ricks motorsports first, they may be familiar with your fitment issue.

8. Patrick Currie

It ended up being the connector for the stator. Cut out the bad connection and hard wired it together. Sending the new part back. Bike is back on the road and running better than ever. Thanks for the help

Huntchuks and Rooster53 like this.