1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Parts bike first move

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Carl LaFong, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Carl LaFong

Carl LaFong Member

Just bought a 82 seca 650 a twin to mine. Last run 6years ago sat outside. Said it ran then. 400cdn

Of course will try to start it. Plan to:
    Plugs out oil cylinders
    Remove tank use small gravity tank with fresh gas
    Suspect carbs stuck.
    Just want it to fire.

Pick up friday, pig in a poke, just saw pictures. Run of not , a good mine for ignition starter gen etc. Parts seem an issue with these old machines.

thoughts welcome

2. Carl LaFong

Carl LaFong Member

Deal on bike dead at birth! Too bad but still an interesting question how to resurrect a long dormant xj.

3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

The first thing you should do when you get a bike is make sure engine will turn over with a spanner on the timing plate flats turn it anticlockwise, or on starter and check what compression you have. Rings can get stuck when an engine has not been run for a long time. A 50/50 mix of automatic transmission fluid and acetone down each spark plug hole helps free them up. If it is in a real bad way is it suitable for spares?

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

the very first thing to do is wash it, even if it's only half there :)

Toyobaru866 likes this.
  5. Carl LaFong

Carl LaFong Member

I brought home a 78 xs that had sat for years. It was inside, the engine would move on the kickstarter a little. Soaked it good for days maybe two weeks came free. But one cylinder burner oil a little and compression was a little low. Tore it down, needed a piston and rings, cylinders were good just needed hone and standard rings. So you never know. I suspect a valve was open on this had cylinder.