1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Touring

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Scott I, May 26, 2021.

1. Scott I

Scott I Member

Hi folks,

I've been running my 83 xj750 Maxim with the Virago touring package including faring, saddle bags, and trunk for the past 10 years. Bought the bike in 2011 and conquered many of the difficulties people continue to post about in getting their bikes running. Just wanted to say Hey! from Wisconsin and reassure newcomers to the xj bikes that once you tackle the maintenance issues associated with an almost 40 year old bike, it continues to be reliable and fun to ride. The touring package attached to the Maxim makes it a great small sport touring bike. The bike is nimble, quick enough, and the faring does a great job of protecting rider from wind and weather. The bags are more than sufficient for a single rider for long distance touring. Wife and I fit perfect on the bike for smaller trips. For anyone who hasn't seen the touring package, it is substantial and of very good quality. The trunk is on the smaller side but good for one. The bike cruises at 75mph without problems. Even though it is revving around 5800 rpm at that speed the sound is not bothersome and is easy to settle into. I'm pulling into gas stations at about 150 miles. I paid $700 in 2011 and drove it 30 miles home that day. Wrenched it for about a month before I was confident in taking trips with it. Haven't looked back.

Enjoy the ride!

Jetfixer, Baker6x6, cgutz and 6 others like this.
  2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Wow nice to see someone close to me, right up the road in Tomah. Glad you are loving the XJ, they are great bikes and seem to be bullet proof. Thanks for sharing your story.

3. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

ksigurdsen likes this.
  4. Baker6x6

Baker6x6 Member

I have owned my '83 XJ750K Touring since 1987... Have ridden over 100K with it. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Jetfixer, ksigurdsen and Simmy like this.
  5. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Nice

6. Scott I

Scott I Member

Very cool. I like hearing these kind of stories.

7. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Nice to have the saddle bags. Back in '85 - '87, my wife and I used to take short weekend trips on my XJ550 with only what would fit in a backpack and small duffle bag strapped to the backrest.

My XJ550 is also still running well. Will turn 30k miles on the odometer sometime this month, so less miles than your XJ750. XJ550 is now a bit small for this old carcass to take long trips, so it is my commute/errand/day trip bike!

Simmy and Baker6x6 like this.