1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My Johnny Cash bike ( one piece at a time)

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jetfixer, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Changed out the seat put on my black seat here are some pictures of the bike . Also a picture of my yellow seca.

Attached Files:

Fuller56 likes this.
  2. Jetfixer

Time for some updates on cosmetics the controls placards were worn away , so I used these on my yellow seca for 20$ off of eBay these make it better . I know yawn a stock bike , it is not a street fighter , bobber ...but it is exactly how I like it.

Attached Files:

StarGeneral and chacal like this.
  3. Jetfixer

Rode down to hardware store, was getting ready to leave and a dude on a Harley softtail pulled in . I spent twenty minutes talking to him he was most impressed with my bike , made me feel pretty good , managed to put 85 miles since last fill up , been to busy to get a real ride in.

Dan Gardner likes this.
  4. Jetfixer

Now that bike is fully sorted and rode down to fill up had put 100 miles on it . Some reflection in some ways this is a "new" bike made a mental list : 1. Forks rebuilt
    2. Valves adjusted
    3. Carbs rebuilt fully and synched, new boots too
    4. New front and rear tires.
    5. Rebuilt calipers .
    6. New pads and shoes.
    7. Braided steel brake lines.
    8. Spin on oil filter conversion.
    9. Upgraded blade fuse block .
    10. Agm battery
    11. Rebuilt starter.
    12. I had bought the tank,fender, both side covers, tail piece a couple of years ago ..
    Since this started out as a frame and engine it is a good project . I watched some You Tube videos and realize my Seca's cannot compete with most modern bikes for speed, braking, handling ...BUT mine is paid for can be upgraded if I want to , I'm old now , my bike will cruise at 70 mph which is fast enough and it is comfortable to ride long distances . Seen a video a 2021 supercharged Kawasaki for 27 k way more than I would ever pay for a bike and most new bikes are out of reach of alot of riders at 10 to 12 k . Oh well this is just my rant.

tj., Franz and Dave in Ireland like this.
  5. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

And a new, uber expensive bike might be nicer to ride, but how much nicer?
    You've turned a pile of bits into something enjoyable - well done, it's a nice feeling?

StarGeneral, Huntchuks and Jetfixer like this.
  6. Jetfixer

I really should add her in the great mid west we might get six months of riding in usually by October we put the bikes in storage and pull them out in April if temperatures and weather are good ....so making a payment is not real appealing . I have enjoyed putting this bike back on the road abused my PayPal account but having a high limit has helped , trying to decide if I put bike up for sale , seen some bike listed locally that are in real bad shape they are asking way higher than I would pay anyway , bikes with no titles and keys torn seat and missing side cover does not run and they want 1600$ 1982 Suzuki GS650 ....he sold it , don't know what he got for it but it sold . So if I put it up for sale at 2500$ I won't feel out of line .

Franz and tj. like this.
  7. Jetfixer

So been working on my yellow seca, took Johnny Cash bike down to the gas station , fill up drop it in gear turn front fork slightly , my foot slipped in some gas and down the bike goes :eek: picked it back up ...only damage was a slight rash on the right crash bar ...and the big scratch on the back of my left leg , and a cramp in my right calf ...and my pride . This is not the first time I've been down won't be the last , I was lucky I had not started moving. :D

8. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Johnny Crash Bike......dropped it one piece at a time—-

Jetfixer likes this.