1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Dynatek or Honda 750 Coils?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by MrSeca, Jun 10, 2021.

1. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

I've been going through a bunch of posts on here regarding coils and on a number of posts regarding the Dyna coils eventually someone mentions the Honda cb750 coils. I would just like to know, which are better? Or does it matter? I know the Dyna's are high output coils but I don't know much about the Honda cb750 ones except that the Honda's are plug and play where as the Dyna's you have to do a little modification to get them in. I want to replace both my Seca 650 and 900 factory coils. Will I have any advantage picking one over the other?

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

the honda is a direct bolt on fit.
    the dyna coil reqiures a kit to install sold be www.xj4ever.com

must be carful of the dynatek get the real ones there are something being sold as Dynatek style look the same but are known to fail.

3. Toyobaru866

Toyobaru866 Active Member

I have Dyna's and they do a good job. I did replace the ones that were on the bike (I think not original) just because I had the Dyna's laying around.
    Some say with Dyna's the bike is easier to start and pulls stronger. To be honest I'm not sure if I can tell the difference. The old ones did a good job and so do the Dyna's. I do use iridium plugs with the Dyna's. Maybe iridium doesn't work that well with stock or Honda coils but I haven't tested.

Jetfixer and XJ550H like this.
  4. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Trust me the CB750 coils will zap you just fine ! I run these on both of my Seca's. The price is really good for the Honda coils , ease of installation . The Honda coils are Hiatchi coils so this is the same manufacture as the stock coils. Unfortunately the stock coils I had were cracked in the housing , filled with JB weld but had the Honda coils left over from a CB750 I had sold . So this is how I started running 4 years with no problems.

MrSeca likes this.
  5. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Thanks Jetfixer. I've been having starting issues after the bike gets warm and people are saying it might be the coils. Everybody adamantly suggests buying the Dyna's but I don't want to have to deal with mounting issues. I just want to plug and play.

6. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

One question. Do you know which brand of Honda CB750 coils I should buy?

7. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

XJ550H could you provide the year of the Honda cb750 that the coils are from and maybe also a good brand that makes them? I put "Honda cb750 coils" in the search engine and I'm coming up with all sorts of stuff.

8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

It's a pinned post.
    CB 750 coils

9. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Just a warning though: there are a few different mfgs. of "CB750" ignition coils, and they vary widely in their primary resistance............some are as low as 1.6ohms, which are not going to play well with the Yamaha (Hitachi) TCI modules used on these XJ bikes, which want a primary resistance of:

2.5 ohms +/- 10% = 2.25 ohms - 2.75 ohms acceptable range for XJ550, XJ650, XJ750, XJ900, and XJ1100 models
    2.7 ohms +/- 10% = 2.43 ohms - 2.97 ohms acceptable range for XJ700 models

By the way, we've ordered from some "large" suppliers of these coils who advertise their coils as 2.4-ohms primary resistance, but they're not..............

MrSeca likes this.
  10. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Cycle Recycle part two sells a kit , 40$ each for coils , they also carry the plug wires and caps as well , I bought some off of eBay, they were Chinese knock off but work just fine . I would buy new , but 81-83 are what you want not sure about later ones . The great thing about these coils mount exactly as stock , and having replaceable wires a plus .

11. XJ550H

12. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

13. XJ550H

yes thats a full kit with wires and caps . you can buy the 39.95 ones you will need 2 but will need wires and you should all ready have the caps

MrSeca likes this.
  14. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

And you best ask them beforehand what the primary resistance of those coils are...............trust me, there are "knock-offs" all over the place, and the way these Chinese (and some Japanese) manufacturers get away with this "back-dooring' of otherwise proprietary parts is to make minor changes in "something" to make the knock-off into a (legally) sellable part.

MrSeca likes this.